Any Arowana Keepers Out There?

Reza

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone out there has an arowana, particulalrly the asian/australian type. Would like to see some pictures and discuss what foods you feed them. I'll post a couple pics of my Jardini later. I have such a hard time taking photos of him with my Canon A80. :(

~Reza~

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've kept them in the past. The silver was boring and not much color. The jardini I had kicked the crap out of my giant gourami which was about twice the size and that was the end of the arowanas until I can afford a really nice asian one. As for food I fed mine raw shrimp which brings out a lot of the red and pink hues, and crickets. My uncle has a chili red that he got from Golds which is an awsome specimen. They are way more mild than the jardinis or silvers and ten times as pretty. There really is no comparison. He keeps his with a tigriness cat ( not sure of the spelling) some ugly friggin' parrot fish and about a dozen oddly marked clown loaches. He feeds his the shrimp ,NLS , crickets , and occasionally the silversides. This is one of the nicest arrowanas I've seen and its only about 10 or 12" long. Sure to be an awsome specimen. Sorry I lost the pics he sent me but I'll try to get some more.

FYI those of you that don't know , these fish are excellent jumpers. My first jardini got to be about 10'' and one day I got up to find that he had jumped out of the tank even with a heavy glass top. After that I put latches on the top. I watched the second one try to do the same thing . He was trying to get at a spider that was hanging from the ceiling. Very cool fish but IMHO you should only keep these guys in at least a 6' -180+gal tank. I kept mine in a 5'-150gal and they outgrew it in about a year and a half.

I have my Jardini in a 90 at the moment, he is still shorter than the 18" depth of the tank so he can stay there for a little longer. A 6' is for sure a must for aros. I picked mine up from Big Al's 18 months ago when he was about 2", he's about 12" now. I heard that once they reach around 10" they really start to grow quickly. He/she has IMO really nice colouring, atleast compared to ALL of the Jardinis I have seen in pet stores, why are so many white with ragged fins??????? You can see a picture of him when he was bought and about 5 months ago here:

http://s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica...topic=512&st=15

~Reza~

I agree that the asians are far nicer than the jardinis with only having 5 scales from top to bottom instead of the seven with the Australian relatives. Makes for larger and more beautiful scales. I just can't justify the $1000 price tag for an average juvie. Oh Toirtis, I too would love a X-Back. One day!!!!

I feed my guy shrimp, crickets, squid and have trained him to eat floating cichlid pellet food. Obviously not a good food to eat all the time, however it does make it easy when I go away and my friends don't like feeding live crickets etc. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 7 inch Jardini from Riverfront 1 month ago. I've been trying to get him used to dry floating food (Hikari) but he will only eat frozen food. I've tried starving him for 2 days and he still won't each it. Should I starve him for a longer period....and how many days of starvation is safe? Any help would be appreciated.

I started off feeding my 2" jardini mysis and treating him with dried earthworms or crickets (can be bought from Big Al's/Petsmart). After some time, 3 months I think, he would pick at the cichlid pellets I put in the tank for my other fish. When he hit about 5" and realised he was the king of the tank he would come to the surface unafraid of the cichlids and eat the floating pellets. I always feed him clams/mysis/earthworms as a staple but if he is hungry he'll eat the pellets. Just give it some time, perhaps putting a couple in his tank 15 minutes before you feed him the frozen food might help. In time he may eat some. The nice thing about getting them to eat pellets is that when I am camping my friends only have to feed him pellets. Strange how some people don't like getting near freeze dried crickets. LOL

Edited by Reza