Freshwater Stingray Water Depth?

bigfishal

Hey everyone just wondering if any of you stingray keepers could help me out here with the minimum water depth that a freshwater stingray (motoro or leo) would be best kept in. I have been considering building a few grow out ray ponds as well as adult ray ponds and am wondering how shallow would be too shallow for them ans both pups and as well for adults?

I know that rays do like to swim up and down the glass of normal aquariums but wondering is it really that necessary for them and would they be perfectly comfortable in a shallow pond environment with more length and width rather then height also?

So with what I can find online in regards to water depth I have found that others are stating that a minimum of 12" is fine for them. Correct me if any others might have any further info in regards to this info.

Most info im finding states that they mostly only require the length and width. Makes sense but I would like to hear others suggestions.

Thanks!

Correct, I'm inclined to agree with 12'' but I'm sure most would prefer 24''. Usually when keeping rays, width is more important over height or depth. I'd say minimum width should be 2.5 feet; IMO I would go for bigger so that way the animal is more comfortable.

Edited by tomuhs

I was thinking that the shallow 12" water level would help to induce breeding activity as with the research I have done in most rays they at times will breed in shallower waters as in most rays there breeding/courting insists with a splashing behavior at times. The ponds im considering building would be around the 12"H x 3' x 8' for adults and grow out ponds approx 12" x 3' x 4'

Not totally set in stone yet but looks this will be the way i go.

I do agree that the 24" tall can be what some prefer but for the amount of time they really use the depth of water is very minimal I find as usually they will only use the depth for swimming to the surface in reach of getting food before others or to act out breeding behavior (splashing)

Sounds like plenty of room to grow in those ponds! I wouldn't be surprised if you could breed them in 1 foot of water; so long as your keep your nitrates low and have good surface movement. 1 foot of water is kinda cool to watch from above too. Are you hoping to breeding motoro/leos? Be sure to post some pics!

Edited by tomuhs

Yes once I move forward with the build I will be sure to post some pics! Currently I am just making the plans up for a customer of ours for another use but it has me inspired a bit to build them for myself for some rays lol!

Breeding would come later hopefully. Im used to keeping them in aquariums but have been thinking a lot about them doing better in large ponds with more room!

Edited by bigfishal