Rainbowfish Breeders

Rainbowric

I guess I should step in here and admit ( it's difficult for a catfish afishionado) that I too have bred, and am breeding rainbows. The first time I ever saw any was in 1978, in a stream on Fraser Island. I helped collect them at night ( very easy compared to trying to collect during the day) so they were in their pale night clouration. Didn't leave much of an impression on me at the time. Then after reviving my hobby, in 1989, through the North American Breeders Guild, I acquired some Popondetta (Pseudomugil) furcata. These were a joy to have and breed! My next rainbow was some Pseudomugil gertrudae in 1998. Again, a glorious dwarf rainbow that gave me much pleasure to watch and breed. This variety had golden yellow pectoral and ventral fins that bred true. Enough of ancient history. I was always impressed with what I think are Melanotaenia splendida australe, the species that you see being sold in many of the LFS today as M. macullochi. When they first hit the LFS they were sold as 8-lined Rainbows. I'm still not 100% sure of their ID but was always impressed with them. In 2000 I gave them a try and was very satisfied with them as a species. Recently when Gary Lange came to Edmonton to spread the rainbowfish message, I acquired some young Chilatherina alleni "Siriwo". Impressive fish that were a breeze to breed, especially since they didn't touch the young that hatched in their tank. It was just a matter of catching out the young and raising them in another tank. Today, I'm working with Melanotaenia macullochi " Skull Creek" and Melanotaenia bosemani "Lake Aytinjo", both very spectacular species in their own rights. I do have some of the M. bosemani "Lake Aytinjo" pairs available now that are sexable and about 2" TL. (Oops, was that a selfish plug) :hey: When I have more room I'm looking forward to working with other species of rainbows. I'm constantly inundated with the gospel of rainbows by the most persistant rainbowfish promoter :bow: to the south of us in Edmonton, but I am not yet breaking down to the point where I get rid of all of my other fish to exclusively work with rainbows.....not yet? :huh:

Edited by syno321

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been my experience with the deep water splendida that the dominant male will "prevent" the other males in the same tank to not grow as deep a body. After I gave some their own tank and playmates, they have become more masculine and have started fill out very nicely.

John

Yes I noticed that also with the 3 pairs that I got from you last year. I was getting quite disappointed in them and you, :) until I separated them!

That can happen once in a while with other species and often with two pairs if they are not matched equally. One male will over dominate. My first group of 4 males, that I got of the Lake Aytinjo boesemani did that and I really got upset.... for months! The other 3 males back half were almost white! Moved the dominant male out and they all started to come around ... then 2 went white. Moved out the second dominant male and the other two came around. Watched this for about 6 months. Keep this in mind if you feel your group of males aren't looking as good as they should!

It has been my experience with the deep water splendida that the dominant male will "prevent" the other males in the same tank to not grow as deep a body. After I gave some their own tank and playmates, they have become more masculine and have started fill out very nicely.

John

Yes I noticed that also with the 3 pairs that I got from you last year. I was getting quite disappointed in them and you, :) until I separated them!

That can happen once in a while with other species and often with two pairs if they are not matched equally. One male will over dominate. My first group of 4 males, that I got of the Lake Aytinjo boesemani did that and I really got upset.... for months! The other 3 males back half were almost white! Moved the dominant male out and they all started to come around ... then 2 went white. Moved out the second dominant male and the other two came around. Watched this for about 6 months. Keep this in mind if you feel your group of males aren't looking as good as they should!

This type of pecking order dominance happens with all types of fish including cichlids and catfish. Did I just mention those families of fish in this thread? :smokey:

This type of pecking order dominance happens with all types of fish including cichlids and catfish. Did I just mention those families of fish in this thread? :smokey:

Hmmm ....only you :bow: Paul can mention both, those other families of fish and the selfish plug "Where someone might find some 2 inch, sexable, Lake Aytinjo boesemani pairs in the same thread! But on the serious side I have lots of sweet wonderful Corys, actually many species of them as well and have never noticed that dominance pecking order. Is it other catfish you are referring to? In addition from stories I have heard from some of the Chichlid community it can be quite deadly for the less dominant male, mind you I have heard of death with Rainbowfish as well :(

I am pleased to have someone with your extensive knowledge of all these familys of fish contributing to my thread and really at the start I did say breeders let us know what you have available. :)

• 2 months later...

I have as yet to catch the Rainbow obsession as I have the Cory compulsion, but have to admit the ones I had bought my sister for her birthday (which I regret as she promptly deceased them) where some I had purchased from Geleen, 2 pair of Pheudomogil Gertrudea Aru 2. These little guys were so active and bright that I'm waiting with fingers crossed for him to hopefully post some more for sale. Any advice on setting up a tank with these little ones as the main attraction? Like possibly an overfiltered, planted 10G with Cherry shrimp and a mystery snail as tank mates? I'm still new to the egglayers but hopefully not for long.

Yes indeed it was good news to hear that you got your colony producing again John. I was thinking that I might have to put this fish on my list for when I go down to the USA this spring. Between you and I, we must have sent out a couple hundred out to new homes. For those of you that don't remember these active and bright little fish you can click on this link to view a video of them ....

Is there anyone else in the province that is breeding this fish or does anyone know of someone? They really are an easy fish to breed, a link that will tell you how easy it is ... Breeding the Gertrudae Aru II with lots of good pictures of them.

Do they make a great little tank with Cherry Shrimp? Another link to answer that question for you .... Gertrudae and Cherry Shrimp

Thanks John for keeping that colony of yours going!

Cheers

Ric

I believe Greg in Regina breeds this fish.

Yes you are correct as I provided Greg with his colony, I was hoping that someone else in Alberta was breeding them.

• 1 year later...

Yay restarting old threads!!!

I am currently breeding/keeping:

Melanotaenia trifasciata "Goyder River" - have fry

Melanotaenia sp. red laser "Wapoga" - have fry

Melanotaenia affinis "Pagwi" - might have fry, ill know for sure when they get bigger.

Chilatherina alleni "Wapoga" - might have fry, ill know for sure when they get bigger.

Chilatherina sp. "Upper Tor River" - just received a pair from rick, will be growing them out.

Chilatherina bleheri - just received a pair from Rick, will be putting them to work right away.

Glossolepis multisquamata "Pagai Village" - might have fry, ill know for sure when they get bigger.

The reason I say I know for sure when they get bigger is that I house multiples species of rainbows that look nothing alike (and can't crossbreed), and let the fry grow up together. Chastise me all you want, but I have limited tank space, and tons of fry. Ill split them up when the time comes, and I can't tell them apart!

Thanks

Vince

Edited by vince0

Great thread! nice to see it pop up again I do the same thing with my fry currently housing

Chilatherina fasciata "Faowi Village" ( fry )

Gertrudea Aru 2 ( fry )

Melanotaenia trifasciata "Goyder River" ( fry soon I hope )

As they get bigger they will be moved to the appropriate tank to grow out.Just waiting for the boxing day specials to grab some more equipment for the growing gang of Bows.

Can do seems to be a few members interested the Aru II but I do need to build my small colony then see about some of the red lazers you have when their ready for a new home. :thumbs:

I have a few (6) that are almost juvies, and some freshly born fry, as well as I just started collecting eggs again. It should only be a matter of time before I get enough to start moving them around. I might have a pair for you in those 6 though...

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

Im looking for pairs of Ayntijo Melanotaenia boesemani. I know they can be difficult to find. I would like to buy 3 pairs if possible. Does anyone have them available close to Saskatoon or would be able to ship it.

Thank you so much,

Andre Chaves.