Heaters

Deano85

I'm looking for opinions on heater brands. Is ebo jager/eheim jager still the gold standard? Thanks

I use three of them no complaints they do seem to be sturdier than most,you can also look into the Hydor I use one of their 300 watt ETH love it and they do stand behind their products see posts in equipment.

I used to use marineland stealth pro heaters and I had a Hydor ETH as well but the past couple of days I have discovered that ALL of the stealth heaters were recalled. Yikes! Hydor ETH is great. I am considering trying the Marineland visitherm but I really would like a shatter proof.

Are the ebo jagers shatter proof?

Hydor ETH is great.

i have went with inline ones and love them

+1 x2

The last submersible I bought new was 15yrs ago. Since then, I've used used heaters, bearing various names.

So I've never trusted a heater temp dial. Even so, I haven't ever had a heater problem - seriously, not a one. *shrug*

I am an inny though - only because I appreciate not seeing a heater.

Hydor ETH x2: both bought from members here; one (barely) used, and one not.

I like Jager because the quality is pretty good and you can calibrate them so they match your thermometer. My Jagers are the only heaters that read 77 degrees when the water is actually 77 degrees.

I like the Hydro ETH inlines if you want an inline heater. They work well and shut off if the water stops flowing.

• 1 month later...

They all break the same when you drop them. What is different is the price you paid for shattered glass.

It's not that they shatter when you drop them. They shatter when you temperature shock them. Jäger is Pyrex I believe. And also I love Hydor!

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=36698&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

They all break the same when you drop them. What is different is the price you paid for shattered glass.

Hey I have a box full of used cheap heaters that you can come and get anytime, some may have cracks in the glass and some have shattered as they were put in the box!

I also have a box of used Jager that I sell for $10 each. Hurry though as the Jager's are almost gone! As jcgd said ...When you get them, calibrate and set them, and that is where they stay! Can't say that I have ever broken a Jager!

Have a number of Hydors on several of my show tanks with canister filters for some time now and they have been flawless!

I also have a box of used Jager that I sell for $10 each. Hurry though as the Jager's are almost gone! As jcgd said ...When you get them, calibrate and set them, and that is where they stay! Can't say that I have ever broken a Jager!

Have a number of Hydors on several of my show tanks with canister filters for some time now and they have been flawless!

A glass is a glass is a glass, whatever brand you attach to it. I have never broken any heater, jager or not, except when I smashed them. And thank you for the offer, $10 a piece is reasonable I admit, but I recently bought a bunch of new ones for $15 or less and they will last me for quite a while.

A glass is a glass is a glass, whatever brand you attach to it. I have never broken any heater, jager or not, except when I smashed them.

It is obvious that you have not done a lot of research on Aquarium Heater Specifications. It is not worth my time to list all the different types of glass, and glass used in Aquarium Heaters. It only takes a couple of minutes with Google and you will learn a lot.... I certainly did!

I am not saying that Jager is the only heater to use as there are a number of them that will provide the same or close performance or specifications. Just be aware that "glass is a glass is a glass," and that the only thing that separates them is the price!

Other then glass you will find other issues to consider of a heater's performance which other experienced aquarist in this thread have stated. Issues relating to the sensing element, and the thermostatic control. Lastly we must not forget safety as I hear at least once a year of someone burning themselves, or melting a canopy, or worst a burning and killing of fish!

As Jayba stated in a earlier post the glass used on a Jager is a laboratory Pyrex/shatterproof ...(developed for research purposes/they state) In addition it is 2 mil thick glass which is double which most others specify. Yep .... most of the cheaper ones just specify glass. Glass like a incadencent light bulb? :)

Other statements that Eheim/Jager state is ...

It is free from pollutants that could be released into the water. It is resistant to chemical and biological substances. It doesn't have any fissures and hair cracks through which condensation could penetrate. And even extreme fluctuations of temperature that can occur during a water change do not harm this glass.

It increases the heating surface, condenses the heat, ensures optimum even heat emission and

forms a heat shield (touching it doesn't harm the livestock).

Yep .... have seen lots of times in cheaper heaters, condensation forming and yes ... cracks and leaks. Yep ... many, and many, and many a water change, :( and I have never had a break when cold water added to tank with the heater out of water and plugged in, and yep .... it has been many years since I have seen a fried fish stuck behind a heater! That alone has got to be worth spending another 5 to 10 bucks for!

Have sold a lot of eggs to people over the years and have them come back ... Ahhh... I kinda cooked the eggs ... darn heater! :(

Eheim specify's the temperature control accuracy is + or - 0.5 deg. C.

I will have 5 or 6 Jagers available to use in my hatching tank area, and I hatch my eggs at 81 deg. F. + or - 1.0 degrees F. I put them in the tank, plug in the heater and forget about them! I will also have another 5 or 6 Jagers available for fry tanks set at 80 deg. F. + or - 1.0 degree F. Same with them drop them in and forget about them. Have cooked a lot of fry in the past useing cheap heaters. With all my 30 plus tanks up and running I can move fish from tank to tank and know that there will not be more than a 2 degree change in temp that the fish will need to adjust to.

Check the specifications on the cheap heaters, many won't list them, do a Google search on them ... tons of reviews on heaters out there .... and please be sure, for safety sake have them in the water before plugging them in! :)

However the really excellent thing about Jager is everyone buys them! and everyone sell them! the competition has driven the price down so low on this excellent instrument that they are almost considered now to be a cheap heater! :)

I would list a couple other brands as well, however I think I have said enough! :)

Cheers

Ric

Edited by Rainbowric