Red Clay

rompergoddess

I don't know if its on the web anywhere, but back in the day I was part of a mailing list called Aquatic Plants Digest (might be archived at thekrib.com), and we came up with all kinds of cheap substitutes for Laterite.

Basically, you're looking for somethin with a high Cation Exchange Capacity (ability to hold ferts, basically), and plain old kitty litter fits the bill - just make sure there isn't anything in it (no deodorants or surfactants, etc). Usually the cheapest option is what you're after.

Dirt has a decent CEC, but does seem to lose this over time, which is why you're looking for clay. In the 20yrs of keeping plants, I've found the simplest thing is to use the type of inert substrate you like best (I like sand, others use fine gravel up to 2mm) and add clay balls and/or root tabs under your heavy root feeders, and dose the water column for everything else.

I believe that laterite has a high iron content which would be beneficial, I addition to cation exchange. When I used it in a " dirt" substrate the swords sure seem to like it. It is pricy though.

John

Edited by geleen

Beware that Laterite prices vary wildly between the stores. I have seen a small box for $24 in Petland and a large one (double size) for $18 on sale in Petsmart Chinook in Calgary. So if you need more than a couple of boxes, it may make sense to shop around a little.

If your looking for something with a high CEC and on the cheap - Opti-sorb. It's montmorillonite (diatomaceous earth), google it or search it on plantedtank. I got a bag at acklands-grainger for $11 I think. You'll want to cap it with something though.

Oh, Americans call it Safe-T-sorb.

Wow! Thank you all for your advice! I finally have some hope here. I have been doing my homework with the web...but alot of confusing information, and at times, contradictory. So nice to have advice from people who have actually done this...

Thank you again!

~~Ronni

• 2 weeks later...