Hydra And Shrimp

rompergoddess

I have a micro-species ten gallon set up, which has four ember tetras, and four pygmy cories, and about twenty cherry shrimp. I have just noticed some hydra have hitched a ride on new plants....dang it!

I would like to know if anyone has dealt with this problem, and how, or if I should be worried....I have researched on the web...but lots of conflicting information on whether or not hydra are dangerous to shimplets, and shrimp in general.

Also, this is a heavily planted tank...so, vacuuming the substrate is near impossible.

~~Any advice would be helpful.

I believe Spixi snails eat hydra. They should be safe to add to the tank

When I had Spixi snails, the took care of the hydra but also munched on plants.

Last time I had hydra, I took care of them with fenbendazole. Not sure if it's safe for your fish but was fine for shrimp.

I'm +1 with the Spixis and plants - they did great at eliminating the hydra, but once there wasn't a constant supply of food, they went on to eat all of the hornwort and Java moss in the tank... which was a lot! I did have over 100 at one time, so if you limit to just one or one sex (thought, how you tell them apart, I don't know; but you need both sexes for them to reproduce).

If they are bad for fish, might be bad for shrimp too. Better to deal with it while infestation is small.

This site gives a few options

http://freshaquarium...-Pest-Hydra.htm

if you want to remove the shrimp (for the heat solution for example)

Edited by kristarockstar