How Old Do You Think They Are......

EowynJane

A breeder wants to get their product out as soon as possible, so I'd guess those fish to be 6mos or less. I've heard some commercial guys say that if you have your fish for longer than 6wks, you start to lose money!

Thanks :) I just bought a beautiful half moon... He's small and I expect him to grow still, every betta I've had has grown from when I first got him/her. If I had any experience with betta fry I'd probably have a better idea. I'm mostly curious because when I tell nonfish people how long they live they say "Really? How old is yours?" and I have to admit I can only tell them how long I've had the fish.

My first betta "mr.fish" lived for 5 years. He survived falling off a 6foot shelf if you can believe it. The cat was a bit over zelous that day.

My current crowntail Puglsy was full grown when I got him and I've had him for a year. I keep him in a blackwater planted aquarium and he does really well.

I am really starting to believe blackwater is a miracle drug for fish. I haven't had one fish get sick since I started keeping them in blackwater. Except when my filter died on my honeymoon, but lets not talk about that.

My mother in law however has 10 veil tail betta fish. They average about 6 months in her care. So it's mostly how you keep them with a little luck thrown in!

Take a guess! Like Wingin' it said when the fish get old you can really tell. They slow right down and look just a little different.

I always think 6 months in a 8 ounce bowl is 6 months too long. I always look at them sitting there, hoping someone either buy them and put them in a real tank, or would just put the poor little creatures out of their misery. lol. yip,I'm off topic. sorry.