40 Gallon Set Up.

I just finished setting up a new tank, a fourty gallon. I need recommendations on what to put in the tank. I filled the bottom with play sand, and it looks wicked. Well, I like the look of it. Anyway, it's still fairly cloudy in there, so I don't have any pictures yet. Out of the fish I have in my fifty five, which should go into the new fourty? Thanks for any and all advice! :)

I guess a list of what's in my 55 would help those who are on the mobile version.

Mikrogeophagus altispinosus / two males

Cryptoheros nanoluteus / one male, two females

Melanotaenia ogilbyi / group of five

Brevibora dorsiocellata / school of eight

Aphyocharax rathbuni / group of three

Paracheirodon innesi /school of fourteen

Hemigrammus erythrozonus / school of fourteen

Corydoras panda

Corydoras sterbai

Corydoras aeneus / longfin albino

Botia almorhae / group of three

Danio rerio

If you tank is crazy cloudy from material in your sand, filter it out easy with a HOB filter and non-printed paper towels. Ever 30 min for a couple hrs change the paper towel and the water will be crystal in no time! I've done this in the past and works perfect.

Depends on what you want. Personally I prefer to recreate natural conditions and lean towards biotope systems. I usually start with one central species, which I want to keep and then sift Internet to find information of cohabitant fishes and plants. Fishbase.org is a great resource. Go to your species, then to "Point Data" and then check each location for "All Species at {coordinates}"

Edited by Znaika

If you tank is crazy cloudy from material in your sand, filter it out easy with a HOB filter and non-printed paper towels. Ever 30 min for a couple hrs change the paper towel and the water will be crystal in no time! I've done this in the past and works perfect.

That's a cool trick! I'll have to remember that when I setup my next tank :)

My two-bits:

40 Gallon

Mikrogeophagus altispinosus male (2)

Paracheirodon innesi (14)

Botia almorhae (3)

Aphyocharax rathbuni (4)

+2 Mikrogeophagus altispinosus female

The bold is what I was thinking of moving in there as well, the crossed out one is because I wanna keep the loaches in the snail tank to do some work, and the red is what I'm looking for. As for the neons, I wanna keep them with the glowlights. Question for you specifically, Jenn. What kinda places would those cryptos lay eggs?

Billy and Tilly have laid eggs in terra cotta pots and coconut huts. The pots I have gotten at the dollar store, just lay them on the sides rather than risk sharp edges. The huts are in the terrium section at petsmart.

They're cave spawners. Doesn't have to be as tight a cave as your Apistos - a sideways pot is fine.