Auction Format?

Just throwing it out there, but has there ever been thought put into an auction format for classifieds?

Say I have some fish I want to sell, it it ok to put up an ad with a minimum price and allow people to bid? I have a ton of plecos to unload and this could possibly be a good deal for someone, yet fair pricing for me as well. Otherwise I sell them to a store and get bent over there....

Just a thought.

The reason we don't allow auctions is because there have been way too many complaints of people agreeing to sell to someone, then backing out of a deal when a different person offers a bit more after the fact. We could discuss the possibility of auctions, but I really don't want to be dealing with more BS complaints - they're by far the most common we get.

If the bidding was public on the post there would be transpearancy for all to see if they were outbid, and people would know if they have lost out and been outbid.

Yeah but it's on the honor system for the seller. After the bidding is ended, somebody who is browsing the forum may decide they'd be willing to pay more than the closing price and message the seller with a higher offer. If the seller was unscrupulous then he may just ditch the auction idea and sell to the new, higher bidder.

Although, I don't see why a "silent auction" wouldn't work, where you'd post what you have for sale as well as the reserve price then have people message you their bids.

Edited by jeremoose

When the site first started the site we allowed auctions and it didn't really work. Thats how we came to create the B/S rules we have now that include "No auctions. Period." It created fighting, people backing out of deals, etc and lots more complaints.

I think the only way to do auctions would be if we used an actual auction program something similar to aquabid. But if thats the case just post a link to your aquabid auction.