Invert Emergency :)

Tigs

Hi there, I've recently picked up several types of smaller shrimp, all of which are supposed to require the same parameters water wise.

3 of the four species are doing just great, the fourth is dying off slowly. In my attempts to change the water parameters to more closely match those shown online (Tiger Shrimp) I've met with little success.

I've tested my local water, measures in at 200 to 220. The tank in question was @ 680 last night. My older tanks are all at about 400.

So, anyone have experience using neutral regulator in conjunction with smaller shrimp? Is there a better way to drop the ph and just what level

of TDS can shrimp actually handle.

thanks,

Antonio

PS substrate is sand, washed. Tank was cycled with tetras quick cycle, and no shrimp added for an additional week after that. Filtration is via sponge.

the 20gallon setup at the same time currently houses my red claw macros, TDS of 400ish, no issues with those shrimp.

Side note, was about 3 days before I lost the first tiger shrimp, immediately tested water parameters with api's master test kit (new so pretty sure it's accurate) and found nothing out of sort other than high PH (7's)

Since then it's been about every 2 days and I lose another. Second species in there is doing fine, may have lost one.

Edited by Tigs

I would say the issue is more that your tank isn't established. If all you did to cycle was add the Tetra Safestart, then wait a week before adding any shrimp, your tank is still cycling. Have you tested your ammonia, nitrtie, nitrates? Shrimp do best in an established stable tank, so at the beginning you might have some die.

I would say the issue is more that your tank isn't established. If all you did to cycle was add the Tetra Safestart, then wait a week before adding any shrimp, your tank is still cycling. Have you tested your ammonia, nitrtie, nitrates? Shrimp do best in an established stable tank, so at the beginning you might have some die.

Yep, all tested out fine.

What really has me confused is the fact that I setup 2 smaller tanks for some shrimp at the same time, a 20 gallon for the bigger shrimp etc. Same process used on all, other 3 tanks are doing great. Same setup in all, ie sponge filters etc. Matter of fact the sponge filter in this particular tank had been left in an established high load tank for 1-2 weeks prior to placing it in the 10 Gallon.

as for the tetra safestart it's purpose is to quick cycle tanks (or so they claim). This 10 Gallon had a total of 20 shrimp, avg size of .5 inches, plants and 0 snail, so bio load would be exceptionally small at this point. The 20Gallon has like 20-30 red claw macros, ranging in size from 1 to 4 inches.

I'll retest tonight, did a good water change yesterday to get the TDS down to 400 range from nearly 700.

tks,

PS have you bothered with TDS in your shrimp tanks, or just left it to local water parameters?

Also, there are two species of shrimp in the one giving me trouble. Tigers (dying off slowly), and blue pearls, thriving nicely. <goes looking for nearest concrete wall>

Antonio

The only shrimp I've had problems keeping in tap water were the Crystal reds and blacks. I've kept orange,yellow, green, blue, cherry, tigers(the regular plain tigers, not the fancy OEBT or anything) and macros in regular tap just fine.

Where did you buy them from? Maybe the tigers you bought were in different parameters and the change to tap is whats causing the problem.

Think you may be on to something there . I was told a ph of 6.5 to7 and TSS of 100 to150. So the difference between locations could be it.

Yeah, if they went from ph 6.5-7 TSS of 100-150 and then you put them straight into Edmonton tap that would be enough of a shock to kill them. Even if you slowly drip acclimate(over say 12-24hrs) them you still might have some die.

Thats why I try to buy them from a store or person that has already acclimated them to edmonton water(or similar parameters). Let them take the losses :P

Think you may be on to something there . I was told a ph of 6.5 to7 and TSS of 100 to150. So the difference between locations could be it.

Yeah, if they went from ph 6.5-7 TSS of 100-150 and then you put them straight into Edmonton tap that would be enough of a shock to kill them. Even if you slowly drip acclimate(over say 12-24hrs) them you still might have some die.

Thats why I try to buy them from a store or person that has already acclimated them to edmonton water(or similar parameters). Let them take the losses :P

heheh couldn't agree more on that but could not find a local source for anything other than cherry shrimp, which I have enough of :)

If you know of a local source for other shrimp pls pm me tks ;)

Antonio

I've bought dozens of shrimp from the same source and didn't have the issues you're having. The only thing I notices is that it took a while for the shrimp to get breeding. The difference in my experience is adding them to an established tank that is almost filled with moss and hornwort.

I just moved some shrimp from my tank at work to a brand new tank at home and am noticing that the shrimp aren't doing as well. I'm sure that the tank being new is the main issue. Can you add more floating/stem plants to your tanks? IMO, that'd be the most help.

I've bought dozens of shrimp from the same source and didn't have the issues you're having. The only thing I notices is that it took a while for the shrimp to get breeding. The difference in my experience is adding them to an established tank that is almost filled with moss and hornwort.

I just moved some shrimp from my tank at work to a brand new tank at home and am noticing that the shrimp aren't doing as well. I'm sure that the tank being new is the main issue. Can you add more floating/stem plants to your tanks? IMO, that'd be the most help.

Hi Jason. Actually the tank does have a few of the smaller water lettuce and a touch of duckweed. I do find that the tigers specifically hang out on these,and tend to stay on the other plants in general as well. I'll continue to monitor and short term may risk moving them to an open 15Gallon that I can vacate on quick notice. Hate to double shock them but if it means them making it will be better in the long run.

cheers,

Antonio

I wouldn't move them. Just add as many plants as possible. Forget about how it looks for a bit, just throw in whatever clippings you have and fill it up with plants.

I wouldn't move them. Just add as many plants as possible. Forget about how it looks for a bit, just throw in whatever clippings you have and fill it up with plants.

Hmm you're thinking to have the plants clean the water per say? There is a fair bit in there, but not full by any means.

Meaning, some vals, cabomba sorta stuff, another stem plant, some moss and watter lettuce. Won't hurt anything so I'll clip my main tank and toss a bunch more in tonight.

Antonio

Edited by Tigs

A TDS of 400 is barely acceptable. 700 could easily cause stress and eventual disease in some species of fish.

So where is this high TDS coming from? Calibration? dirty filter?

John

Edited by geleen

A TDS of 400 is barely acceptable. 700 could easily cause stress and eventual disease in some species of fish.

So where is this high TDS coming from? Calibration? dirty filter?

John

Agree, and my suspicion is that it's the neutral regulator i used to try and bring the ph to neutral after the first one passed away. Was the only item (PH) at the time that showed up on the test kit.

I have tested my tap water and it's 200-220, after adding the neutral regulator it jumps up quite fast. Now, the question is whether or not the TDS is what I should be focusing on. Meaning, the spike in TDS could be the way

the neutral regulator works, though I'm unsure if it drops back afterwards or how long it would take.

as for calibration, doubt it as the meter is new but bears checking into.

Dirty filter I'd say no, all of my tanks get at least their weekly water change, which includes cleaning up the filtration unit as needed. So sponges get washed out in tank water that's being taken out and put back into the tank etc.

In the case of my 90 Gallon it has 2 x 90 Gallon canister filters on it.

cheers,

Antonio

PS seriously considering an RO unit for better long term water quality.

I would stop messing with the water parameters. That usually causes more issues then it helps. The shrimp should be able to handle Edmonton tap water, they just need to get used to it if they were raised in soft ph 6.5-7.

Do small water changes, add a bunch more plant clippings and let them settle in. Moving them around more will just make the problem worse.

I agree with Jason about adding more plants. Not sure if its just their ability to keep the water cleaner, or provide food for the shrimp(critters that grow on them, or that the shrimp just feel more secure and less stressed in them but in all my shrimp tanks I find they do much better if they are heavily planted. I keep my shrimp breeding tanks bare bottom with TONS of naja grass and elodea filling them.