Walstad Method

jamesbarr

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20130409190111.jpg

Day 27 since start up, Day 9 since filling.

Update photo for my DSM NPT. Things are looking great IMO. My Java moss got detached when I had a hand slip during a w/c. Its ok, I wanted to try this technique out anyhow. My Java moss is now on the rock 2nd from the right in the photo. Water parameters unknown, Im not really worrying about it at the moment. No algae so far, just strong tannin colour in the water. It will slowly get better, closer to the 1 month since filling mark.

dscf1916r.jpg

Day 35, 17 since filling. I trimmed the HM right after this picture, its growing too tall for my pygmy swords in the back, which are actually pushing their way into the HM zone of the tank. Survival of the fittest I guess :)

dscf1915p.jpg
Its been a while since I have updated my walstad. Today is day 51. Things have changed a lot since I get this one going :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

20130608155810.jpg

This one likes to hang out alone at the moment, hard to get a pic of all of them together. I suspect this is maybe a male? I also am realizing that I may need a floating plant for them to hang out below. Anyone have any recommendations for a floating plant that will not over take my tank?

My thoery of the solo fishy being male is not the case. The source of them tells me that he missed the male when he was bagging them up. Oh well, will have to get one later and breed the dickens out of them :P

Edited by jamesbarr

• 3 weeks later...

just an image update on my walstad tank now nearing 120 days old (tomorrow)

unrb.jpg
Looks a lot different from the beginning. Now stocked with 4 rainbows (preacox) and 1 Albino Cory and a bunch of Mts and another variety of pond snail, not RHS.
1rp6.jpg
Another Walstad Method tank that I havent been high lighting. Im not too sure when I started this one. I took the tiger lotus from my original walstad and moved it in there, along with some pcs and most of the anubius from the original tank. Otherwise this is a community tank. Rummy nose tetras, serpea tetras, albino corys, sterbai corys, albino sailfin pleco, undescibed mollies (from auction, anoyone else get these? Mine are getting a neat blue colour to them). Theres likely some thing Im missing, but you get the idea. Mish Mash, yup youve got the picture :)