Walstad Method

jamesbarr

IMO, any NH3 or NO2 reading is not good. If you have fish in there (think I saw a platy?), and you want it to stay alive, keep up the WCs... and add more plants :)

Next time you're in Edmonton (or Sherwood Park) let me know and I'll hook you up with some plants.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, thanks for the generosity. Ill remember to let you know next time Im in :)

Yep, its a platy. Had a rough looking guppy in there too before, but I think my pH tinkerings likely killed it, no great loss. Platy man is doing really good in there, but they seem to do well no matter where you put them.

Will keep up my w/cs as you mentioned. I think Im getting closer to cycled, tho it sounds like the first month in a walstad can be pretty arduous, I think that its going to be worth it.

Or... If you have another tank that can take the platy, just re home the little guy and let the cycle run its course with no water changes. Then when the cycle has reached equilibrium, bring back the platy. Then let it hit equilibrium again. After that your plants will be well established and tank full of bacteria.

I'd say next time cycle your tank properly first and then throw in plant and livestock as high levels can also hurt plant. I'm sure the plants have been stunted and some may even die. I know people are eager but fish tank rules apply if it's this tank method, that tank method or the walstad method.

actually, I have had very little sign of distress. Only the browning of a few leaves. In swords this happens all the time for me, even in a normal tank. As a matter of fact, plants that were doing poorly in my traditional planted tank (sans dirt) have shown remarkable improvement once moved into this tank. I found several pygmy swords with runners off them today, along with my crypt wendtii. My amazon sword had virtually no root system on it at all when I put it in the tank, its putting out new leaves now. My moneywort have also sent out runners. I think if anything, my plants were stunted in their previous home.

As for my platy, that fish was barely eating in my old tank. It was a cheap fish that I expected to die, so I thought Id just put its last days to good use to aid in the stimulus of my bacterial cycle. Now, its eating well and filled out to a nice plump size and swimming about happily as the day I first got him.

I think what I am doing is working so far, so I will follow the same regime through the cycle.

Definitely sounds like things are working well. IME, the less you tinker with things, the better they go.

so it turns out that my guppy didnt die of natural causes. she was sucked into my filter...boo. shes been in there for a week tho, so that may explain a part of my ammonia. Will have to see later on if thats the case.

update. Tank is NH3/4 0ppm as of today. will switch to w/c every other day with continued daily testing for the next week. Found more runners off my pygmy swords today as well. Not that they are appearing daily, just noticing more. Feeling good about this tank. If things continue this way for the next month or so, considering a dry start npt to experiment with next :)

Edited by jamesbarr

20130313203018.jpg

Just trimmed the moneywort, which were about 2x as tall, and replanted the trimmings in amongst the others to speed up propagation. These are doing really well in there. My HM has really settled in now and is starting to spread out and up a little. Pygmys are still spreading out little by little. day 16

Edited by jamesbarr