cainechow

I finally finished my LED and got it mounted.

Before...

IMG_20130420_215926.jpg

After...

IMG_20130420_220051.jpg

If my phone camera white balance isn't playing tricks on us, the light from the 4 Cree XTEs are much whiter than the Sunblaster. I like. You can see how much greener the plants look under the sunblaster. This is because the sunblaster has a strong spike in the green spectrum. the XTEs are biased towards blue and only moderately green. It seems like I get less coverage and penetration with the LEDs but it is much more sparkly :) I'll give it a few weeks to see how the plants respond. They should still do well with more blue. I may supplement with red LEDs later for better growth.

From a bit farther back it looks like...

IMG_20130420_221118.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the lighting is pretty okay. The T5 had more "wrap" to the light since the light source is larger and looked brighter because of the green spectrum. That green spectrum isn't in the peak chlorophyl absorption bands. I'll try to find the spectrum graphs that I have for both the T5 and the XTEs. The LEDs look less bright and the shadows are a bit harder because the point source lights don't wrap as much. The LEDs also have a much stronger blue spectrum that is useful for the plants. If I go by pearling alone, the LEDs generate about 50% less pearling when compared to the T5. I am very fine with this because it means less dosing and less trimming. I'm pretty sure the plants will be just fine. Plus I can leave this light on much longer. I suspect that if your tank is much deeper, you'll need to up the power supplied to these LEDs for more intensity or add optics. I'm currently under-driving them (600mA) by quite some right now but they run pretty cool even with my not so fancy (not really) heatsink.

You could also go with XPG2s or if you need even more intensity XMLs or XML2s. Keep in mind that these emitters put out a lot more heat than the XTE series and was one of the reasons I went with XTEs. They seem to be a good balance of light to heat ratio for my application. I'm not sure I'd do my exact setup with any tank that is deeper than a 10 galon standard.

Oh... additionally, there seem to be some pretty decent LED fixtures for planted tanks out there for about 120.00 now (FInnex?) I think I paid about 60.00 total for my build. I think the most expensive part was getting the aluminum extrusion from the Home Despot.

From DX.com: (free world wide shipping)
- CREE XTE R4OA 130LM 8000K LED Emitter White Light Bulb for Flashlight - Silver-154613 x4 @ $ 3.60 USD each
- Water Resistant 9~15W LED Constant Current Source Power Supply Driver (90~265V)-157686 x1 @ 8.80 USD

From Home Despot:
- Angle brackets - one set of 4 with screws. 1x @ Under $2.00 for the set
- Square aluminum extrusion x 2 @ $14.00 each
- Wire nuts - $????

From Memory Express:
- Arctic Alumina Ceramic Thermal Adhesive 1x @ $9.00

I like your LED set up. A few questions:

- Do you know if that power supply is switching? I looked on the website and didn't see any mention. (Is it heavy relative to its size or fairly light and cool when in use?)

-Did you use the Square aluminum extrusions as the heatsinks? (is that solid aluminum? Or a XbyX hollow square?)

-What did you do for the swivel mount, I can't tell from the photo?

Looks really nice, and sleek. Hope it works out for you!

Edited by Iceturf