Help?

OldCanuk

So. I have lost approximately 12 Cherry reds over the last 72 hours. I did a 50% water change yesterday and changed out the carbon bag on my filter this morning. Here are this morning's numbers.

PH 7.0

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 10

Nitrite 0

GH 180

KH 40

Temp 78F

After changing out the carbon bag on the filter this morning I have noticed a definite increase in activity throughout the tank (coincidence??)

I do notice at least 3 different sizes of babies in the tank this morning. You would think that they would be the first to go, but not so. They are doing great.

So, can anyone help me out wit a bit of advice here? I do NOT like to lose my babies

Test strip? From the timing I'd assume the water change did it. Numbers you posted look near perfect, so perhaps a spike in the water at change time.

Have you added extra dechlorinator to the tank to be sure?

Test strip? From the timing I'd assume the water change did it. Numbers you posted look near perfect, so perhaps a spike in the water at change time.

Have you added extra dechlorinator to the tank to be sure?

I tested with both the test strip and the liquid test kit. I always use dechlorinator and then water sits for 24 hours before I do change. I changed water 24 hours ago but this death situation has been going on for the last 72 hours. Not quite as many since water change though :))

Adults are usually the first to go. Shrimplets usually have a easier time adjusting to changes in the tank.

How old is the tank? Have you added anything new the the tanks recently (i.e. Plants)

kH seems very high.. has it always been around 40 in your tank? What's the kH of the tap water you are using to change the tank

Nitrate seem a bit high as well

Maybe test your tap water

Edited by jumpsmasher

The fact that you have nitrate in the tank makes me think that you are going through a small cycle. I would do another water change and double the amount of prime you are using, also letting water sit overnight does nothing for the chloramine that Edmonton has. You may also want to test the water before you do the water change and see what parameters you get. Good luck.

10ppm of nitrate high???? Unless you're running a heavily planted tank or doing DAILY WCs, 10ppm is what I'd call below avg - there is nothing wrong with 10ppm nitrate.

My guess is along the lines of Tigs and SGG, maybe you didn't add enough dechlorinator (notice everyone is recommending Prime? Maybe switch brands if you aren't already using it).

Though you said the deaths came before the WC... I don't use carbon regularly in any of my tanks and the main reason is that if you don't change it soon enough, it starts leaching back into the tank everything it's removed. IMO, you don't need it unless you want to remove an harsh medication (malachite green, for example). It could be that you left the carbon in just a couple days too long. If your biofilter is established, you really don't need carbon filtration at all.

10ppm of nitrate high???? Unless you're running a heavily planted tank or doing DAILY WCs, 10ppm is what I'd call below avg - there is nothing wrong with 10ppm nitrate.

My bad, thought I read nitrite.......god aging sucks the big one.....

My guess is along the lines of Tigs and SGG, maybe you didn't add enough dechlorinator (notice everyone is recommending Prime? Maybe switch brands if you aren't already using it).

Though you said the deaths came before the WC... I don't use carbon regularly in any of my tanks and the main reason is that if you don't change it soon enough, it starts leaching back into the tank everything it's removed. IMO, you don't need it unless you want to remove an harsh medication (malachite green, for example). It could be that you left the carbon in just a couple days too long. If your biofilter is established, you really don't need carbon filtration at all.

Something worked Jason. They are all back and active tonight. (Except the 12 I lost). ;). And great looking stock as well thanks to you my friend