Ammonia In Shrimp Tank - Help

Mahawka

Hey guys,

I took 3 Ammonia water tests today.
1) 10 gallon Shrimp tank - 0.20PPM
2) Planted Tank - 0.20PPM
3) Tap water (Calgary) - 0.20 PPM

I was wondering if this was normal. My Shrimp tank has been set up for 10 months, fully planted and have the proper filtration media. I would expect that even if my tap water has ammonia in it, the tank bacteria would remove the Ammonia

Do you guys know what's going on with the water ? Should i buy a bottle of prime and see if i can lower my Ammonia? or is my test kit wrong?

Thanks

Are you using the test strips or liquid test kit because test strips are VERY unreliable as a check my test on tap water came out to zero.

Dis you just do a WC on your planted tank when you took the reading. If not, and your plants are many and healthy, I'd bet money that your test kit is faulty. Plants love ammonia - it doesn't last long in a planted tank!

Are you using the test strips or liquid test kit because test strips are VERY unreliable as a check my test on tap water came out to zero.

I am using an API master test kit

I've heard from a local pet store today that Edmonton tap water has about double the normal ammonia etc. Are you using just the amount required to treat the water on changes or more?

I would say i use on the "more" side when i treat my water. And that's crazy, i wonder if Calgary is effected.

I am really thinking that my test kit is off. I am going to bring water sample to Pisces and get them to check it out. Also I will try the test kit on some bottled water. :)

Dis you just do a WC on your planted tank when you took the reading. If not, and your plants are many and healthy, I'd bet money that your test kit is faulty. Plants love ammonia - it doesn't last long in a planted tank!

I waited 24 hours after my water change before i tested my ammonia. My plants are super healthy in there.

Edited by Mahawka