How Many Is Too Many?

Jayba

So how many shrimp is too many in a 5.5 gallon tank? I will eventually spread them out into 5.5's and a multi chamber 30. But for now is 50 in a 5.5 too many? Invert only tanks.

I don't know specifically about a 5.5g but I've had 150+ in a 10g that was filled with floating plants. When I took the plants out the whole bottom of the tank was thick with shrimp

I'd say they'll be fine, as long as they aren't super fancy sensitive species. Just do regular water changes and you'll be good

I think shrimp will reach a peak pop'n and maintain. As long as you keep it clean, you should be able to keep 100+ in there.

So how many shrimp is too many in a 5.5 gallon tank? I will eventually spread them out into 5.5's and a multi chamber 30. But for now is 50 in a 5.5 too many? Invert only tanks.

Hah! glad you asked the question first! I was beginning to wonder myself ;) Course, no one mentioned the cost $ in feeding 100-300 shrimp per tank lol. That would look wicked though. My cherry's are getting up in numbers and the tank seems sparse until I put food in. Then they come out of the woodwork so to speak :)

cheers,

Antonio

How many cherry shrimp in a 5.5 gallon. Man! I stopped counting around 200 to 300. Flipping things breed like rabbits. Starting to cull the really red ones and put in 10 gallon though. And I have only ever seen 2 dead ones since I ought my original 25 from Jason

Ok so what's the trick? I've tried cherries a couple of times and can never get them to breed!

Caine is probably on to something. I found that if you want to keep them with fish, you'll need to start with 30+; otherwise, the baby shrimp just get picked off too quickly. If you don't want to buy that many at once, start a small species tank (as you've read, you can grow a very significant pop'n in a small tank), and then move a bunch to your main tank. Make sure you're only keeping them with very small-mouthed fish, as even my dwarf neon rainbows were putting a dent in a very serious adult pop'n of cherry shrimp!

Chili rasboras, Bridgette rasboras and rasboras maculatas are the only ones I've found dont make a dent in the population, thinking of trying thread fin rainbows but I've heard those can be hit or miss myself.

They will be species only tanks. I think I have 4 variations coming. I have had PFR's in a community tank and not sure if it was my constant vacuuming or the fish that kept the numbers at bay. I was planning 50 per tank and see what happens.

Ok so what's the trick? I've tried cherries a couple of times and can never get them to breed!

Strictly shrimp. Lots of live plants (moss) for the babies to hide in and keep the water parameters s close to dead on as possible. And of course good breeding stock (thanks to Jason :))

My yellow shrimp tank is a dead match to the cherry shrimp tank when it comes to water parameters and I have about 15 babies in it and 3 of 4 females are berried again.

I've tried both species only and community- community being with sparkling gouramis, neons, and white clouds. I think I only have 1 shrimp left in that tank. When I tried the species tank, I think I may have gotten just females, but I wasn't sure. Never have I seen a single berried shrimp in any of the tanks I've tried them in. I like shrimp, but I just don't seem to have any luck with them!!