Finally Starting A Rainbowfish Tank!

jaysgirl2000

Alright so I was at the auction in Edmonton on Sunday and got my hands on the following Rainbowfish

-Chilatherina Bleheri x7 juveniles

-Melanotaenia Parkinsoni x9

-Melanotaenia Splendida Splendida x3

This will be my first attempt at a rainbow tank so any info/heads up would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by jaysgirl2000

Congrats! Just a word word advice, be sure to separate them into different tanks prior to breeding, as you have 2 species that will interbreed. Also the females can be very hard to distinguish from each other within the Melanotaenia group. The fish you have are all pure strains. keep them that way.

Make some mops and have some fun. :)

big time agree on the 4foot length. I do have small juvie groups in a 30G tank but once they grow up they are VERY spookish in a smaller tank. Anyone walks up to the tank and they go crazy.

4foot tank same fish within a day are just looking at you as you walk up to the tank.

cheers,

Antonio

Congrats! Just a word word advice, be sure to separate them into different tanks prior to breeding, as you have 2 species that will interbreed. Also the females can be very hard to distinguish from each other within the Melanotaenia group. The fish you have are all pure strains. keep them that way.

Make some mops and have some fun. :)

No attempts will be made to breed them so we there won't be any interbreeding, don't worry!

You need at least a 4ft tank with some current and lots of live plants and sand bottom.

They're currently growing out in a 70g 36x19x24, but will be moved into a 6' 150g later this year. TONS of live plants in the tank and a sandy bottom as well.

rainbows.jpg

Edited by jeremoose