I Have A Filtered 3 Gallon Tank,what Shrimp Should I Try?

Chelsea716

So I have a 3 gallon fresh water tank in the middle of my 165 gallon hermit crab tank. Sound wierd, but what shrimp would go good in the pool? I used a new and clean kritter keeper for the pool. It is lined with unpainted gravel and has a fake plant in it. I have a few water proof reptile bio-vines in there so my crabs can go in and out. My guys only go in there sometimes so I was looking at adding shrimp. I know it is safe as MANY hermit crab owners have shrimp in there large water pools. It is 12x7.5x8.

Things I forgot to add: I am making a sponge filter for the tank as well. With an airstone, air pump, tubing, aquarium filter sponge, and a a tube of plastic with the top and bottom cut off as well as holes in the piece. Just a typical DIY filter. I use dechlor water for it as well. I use API water treatment. No added salts or anything. I do %25 water changes weekly right now and a %100 change once a month because my crabs spill a LOT of stuff into the pool.

Cherry Shrimp, very forgiving hardy shrimp, plus breed like rabbits if your crabs decide they enjoy the taste of them. Just start with a decent sized colony. Another option would be ghost shrimp. Very cheap and breed quick as well.

So I have a 3 gallon fresh water tank in the middle of my 165 gallon hermit crab tank. Sound wierd, but what shrimp would go good in the pool? I used a new and clean kritter keeper for the pool. It is lined with unpainted gravel and has a fake plant in it. I have a few water proof reptile bio-vines in there so my crabs can go in and out. My guys only go in there sometimes so I was looking at adding shrimp. I know it is safe as MANY hermit crab owners have shrimp in there large water pools. It is 12x7.5x8.

Want pics of your setup so bad! Also: x2 on getting Cherry Shrimp.

Ok, trying to add a heater to my 3g pool. It is very chilly right now as my crab tank is at 74f but it hits the high 70's and low 80's in the day. I am going to convert my 10 gallon tank in my room into a nice cherry shrimp tank. I need to see how I like the shrimp before adding to the pool. I have a large spot on my dresser for the tank and I am trying to get stuff ready. I will be takin pics of the current tank right now but I have a leak in my water fall so I am trying to patch that. I know a guy in the states is building a 750+ hermit crab tan with I think 80 gallon salt water pool, 30 gallon fresh and a 10 gallon brackish for fiddler crabs. It's very cool how people do this :)

OK, what heater is good for this pool? I need a heater ASAP as it is like, 70f-ish. My tank has a air temp of 75-80 and I have a bubbler in the water right now. Going to petsmart tomorrow to buy a filter (tetra internal for small tanks or about 2.5-4 gallons I think). I used them in my betta tanks so I think it will work. Should I add a heater? And is a marimo moss ball good with shrimp? I am looking to add one. I want it to be colder as my hermit crabs prefer cold fresh water.

Cherry shrimp don't need a heater, and will be fine in the little tank you have.

+1 on what Jason said. My Cherrys, Rili's and Red Tiger Shrimp tanks don't have heaters and they breed like rabbits. All they require is a good diet and clean water. Shrimp adore moss balls, just make sure you soak in a snail killer solution first as they sometimes have hitchhikers.

I have read posts on other forums of people in California keeping Cherrys in their outdoor ponds where the temp on winter gets a slow as 55F, all that happened was the breeding rate dropped till it got warmer. These are incredibly hardy shrimp so I think would be okay at 67F, mine currently are at 70-72F and are doing well, not a big population explosion but steady reproduction.

Okay, do RCS benefit from any thing? Maybe a marimo moss ball? Seeing the cold water needs I think that is good :). Can I keep ot

Unfiltered? My sponge filter didn't work. I use a turke baster to remove dirt once every 2 to 3 days. I need to wait a few weeks unil o can get a filter. Is a tetra internal filter for 2.5 gallon tanks good? I could place a thingnove the intake to prevent the shrimp from getting sucked in. The water isn't more then 8 inches deep :-|.

They do need a filter, I had picked up one at a lfs for aroun $10 that works amazing. Shrimp love plants, plus so funny watching them crawl all over them.

http://oceanlabaquatics.com/?p=241

I have the double sponge in a 10G, they are cheap and very efficient. My Cherrys will sit on the sponge like stairs.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

I am going to Big Al's today to pick up a marimo moss ball (well... two of them... one for my 3g and one for an experiment) so I will try an find a nice filter there. HAS to be internal or sponge :)