Bn Hatching- What Next

Brenda4

Yes they may get eaten however they are very, very good at hiding under anything....They will eat the same as adults including zucchini Green beans spinach and wafers.

J

Is it a community tank? If the other fish in the tank are small, then you likely won't have a problem keeping the fry; however, tetras will likely pick them off. If you can pick up one of those Hang-On-Tank fry boxes (I think they're made by Marina?), you can keep them in there until they're about 3/4". I just toss a pipe in for them to hide in.

my BN's are shy in a seperate tank, I stare at them, they stare back and don't eat. I check their bellies, and they are stuffed <shrug>

In my community tanks they are hogs!!! Shoving other fish, red claw shrimp off the food in order to eat go figure :)

cheers,

Antonio

PS as for breeding, is it normal for them to make their own caves? I have one pair that's decided the driftwood/planted piece needs to be excavated under to make a cave. Pretty neat seeing them dive upside down into said cave :)

PS as for breeding, is it normal for them to make their own caves? I have one pair that's decided the driftwood/planted piece needs to be excavated under to make a cave. Pretty neat seeing them dive upside down into said cave :)

Back in the 90's the common practice was to make a way for them to dig out their own cave to encourage spawning - it's probably what they do in the wild. However, most of our current stock is so domesticated that most caves/decorations will do!

• 3 weeks later...

ok, update. there are over 20 new fry and they just laid eggs again!!!! as soon as i put the cave back in the young couple didn't take much time for the next batch. Sooo i had to start up another tank, of course. Just a 15 g, i wanted to put a rena xp2 on it but i broke some of the parts,it will have to wait til I go to the city. They are really liking the cucumber, my other ones liked squash too.They are so small and cute. Hope there is a good survival rate. I have already been doing large water changes to stay out of trouble.

Here is a picture, has to be at least 50, I didn't realize they had such large batches. Anybody know how to post pics from iPhone?

Use the photobucket app