Betta Imbellis

Bruno

Just read a quick article on Betta imbellis or the Peaceful Betta, and then did a google image search. They look very close to my untrained eye to the betta's I see in LFS. The article seemed to imply these would be good beta to put in a community tank (without fin nippers etc). Does anyone here know much about these? I love the look of the betta but don't really want a small 5 gallon set aside for one. Are they easy to find and can they go in a true community tank?

From my limited experience with Bettas I have kept they all have their own personality's some got a long fine in a community set up (mine only terrorized the pond snails) while others made life tough for all.It comes down to luck of the draw.

We picked up a betta a little over a week ago. He went into our QT tank which is a community tank right now since we are just starting to add fish to the other 2 tanks. He has done fine with the cardinal tetras, cory cats and blue rams. He actually looks frightened by the rest of the fish, including the cardinals. Last night he went into my sons 37G which has some swords, platies and an Angelfish. We kept an eye on them to see what would happen, and the betta has left everyone alone, though the Angelfish showed him some interest as soon as he went into the tank, but within a minute or 2 they were ignoring each other. So we will keep an eye, but so far so good.

Looking ahead though, if the Imbellis is truly a peaceful community fish, I might want one or more in the larger community tank I am dreaming up in my head. So just wondering if anyone has kept any Imbellis and how easy they are to obtain.

Edited by Bruno

Cool water species but don't put them with small fish. I had a group of 6 and one male killed a full grown Gardeneri killifish. They have mouths like a bass, it basically opened wide and tried to swallow the killi. Closed it mouth around the gills, suffocating it till it stopped moving then spat it out. This was my experience with them.

I have betta imbellis and they do tend to squabble. Any of the wild betta splendens complex(smaragdina, mahachai, imbellis) can be kept together but in groups to spread out the aggression. Also wild bettas are awesome jumpers.... Good luck finding them though..

I was hoping that given your love of bettas you would have some info :D So how would they fair in with other fish? Any community fish they should not be with, or would do better with?

• 3 weeks later...

Fyi... my betta imbellis fry are free swimming now.. Haven't had much luck raising wild bettas lately so we'll see how it goes!!

The coolest thing is he had his nest in the styrofoam cup right against the side of the tupperware(yes, that's right!!). It was a lousy nest so I could see the fry from the beginning as they stand out on the white styrofoam. The next couple of days will be the kicker and I did start some infusoria...Wish them luck!!

• 3 weeks later...