Dishwaswher Safe?

laurensdad

can i put a fluve acrilic 7- 8 galon tank in the dish washer? will the fome background make it out? the tank is plaged with BGA i have dosed it with the drugs 4 times blacked it out for a week cant kill it so i just striped it down re homed the fish., and going to store the tank

Don't do it will not survive trip through the dishwasher.If tank is to be stored wash out with bleach and water 20 parts water to 1 part bleach rinse out really good, dry cover top with saran wrap good to go when your ready to start it up again.

don't do that. I've used straight bleach about 250ml to cleanse a tank...worked great.

If you have bga don't tear a tank down or use drugs but use glutaraldehyde...aka Metricide...aka Excel.

Trust me young grasshopper!

Edited by ckmullin

A heavy dose of excel or glut will kill BGA quite well.

Since the tank is empty already it's easy. Get a small powerhead or a fluval internal filter (remove media), cover the tank with a garbage bag, fill with clean water and give a huge dose of excel then turn on in filter/powerhead and cover the tank. Let it run for a day, add more excel, let it run for a day and so on... I did it for two days when I was cleaning out a 27 gallon and it killed off all the BGA and BBA like a boss.

The acrylic itself will likely endure the voyage, perhaps slight degradation. The foam, unless high grade (very unlikely) will be subject to a low melting point, your more likely to damage your dish-washer unfortunately. If you wanted to do a boil type sterilization, I would just pour boiling water down on it for a few minutes.

Edited by Iceturf