Acrylic Aquariums

jeremoose

Hey all, I'm looking for a place to get acrylic tanks. Recently got a 240g (72"x24"x30") and it's RIDICULOUSLY heavy. Naturally, I want a larger aquarium but going up to the next step (300g) in all-glass would be borderline un-movable. Google searches have turned up nothing for acrylic tank makers in the area.

Anybody know something I don't?

Find some good designs, lots of silicone and buy some acrylic.

Build your own :)

Quick google search turns up Johnston Industrial Plastics in Edmonton. They sell and custom cut acrylic sheets. You would need minimum of 1/2" thickness.

That way you can just have fun and make a unique one.

My 2 cents

hey there again, I have a 750 gal & 600 gal acrylic tanks and I got them from Tenecor aquaiums in the USA.

They are now out of buisness due to the global economic slow down that happened a few years back.

I have had them for 5 years now and the only b*tches I can make are;

1) they scratch easy so you have to be extra careful with that, you can always buff them out, it's more of a concern on the outside of the tank because the inside scratches are blended by the water.

2) they hold heat.......my heaters (1500watts) rarely turn on, a little bit in the winter but not much, so in the summer I have to leave the lids off unless I got a cooler....but not needed...( extreme heat in Alberta does not last long!)

3)on a possitive side, they are much lighter than glass and this is very important when your talking about large tanks, if done by a proffesional...they are bullet proof!!!

4)I am very glad I went with 3/4 inch acrylic tanks for my big boys......the smaller tanks I have are glass.

hope this helps!!!!

Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton has a sister company that does custom tanks - I can't remember the name off hand.

Quick google search turns up Johnston Industrial Plastics in Edmonton. They sell and custom cut acrylic sheets. You would need minimum of 1/2" thickness.

My 2 cents

Just to be extra sure no one does this... you don't silicone acrylic. Use weldon to bond the silicone panels together permanently. A 300 gallon glass is still pretty easily movable if you ask me. Just get a few buddies to help and you'll be ok. 4 guys should be able to do it no problem! Especially if you can borrow/rent a few really strong suction cups from a local tank maker.

My 2 cents

Just to be extra sure no one does this... you don't silicone acrylic. Use weldon to bond the silicone panels together permanently. A 300 gallon glass is still pretty easily movable if you ask me. Just get a few buddies to help and you'll be ok. 4 guys should be able to do it no problem! Especially if you can borrow/rent a few really strong suction cups from a local tank maker.

To be honest I'd skip the 300g if I could find an acrylic tank manufacturer and go straight to a 450+.