Newbie Looking For Advice

Bruno

Realistically, if you get them small, they likely won't have any aggression at all. That being said, when you add new stock, rearrange all the landscape, and that wrecks everyone's territory, and creates an even playing field for all. If they are adults, then a few in a big tank may chase, but if you break up sight lines, they should be ok.

What about substrate? I currently have Eco-complete in that tank, and I also have sand I can replace it with. I have seen the cichlid special substrate but my ph is already close to 8 so I worry about that raising it too much.

Do I want sand or stick with Eco-complete or is it all personal preference?

I don't know about Eco-complete, so I can't speak to that. If you go with sand, be cautious about what you stack in the tank. Mbuna are known to dig in sand, they can dig out under a pile of rocks and cause them to fall. I have regualar aquarium gravel, haven't had an issue with it, since the pieces are pretty big, only a few fish move it, and not much of it. I've bever buffered my tank with anything and I've had no deaths, and lots of babies. I use cichlid stones for hiding spots.

If you're going to go with sand, stack your rocks before adding the sand; that way, when the do dig, there won't be any shifting under the rocks. Some people put egg crate on the bottom of the tank, then stack their rocks on that. Another thing you can do to keep the rocks from falling when the cichlids dig is to silicon them together.

I believe Eco-complete is a plant substrate, so not necessary for your mbuna. I'd pick a sand color you like. The cheapest option is playsand - a 50lb bag will run $8. I've also used garnet - a nice burgundy color... just rinse it really well before using it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am upgrading to a 90 sooner then I expected, but could use some help with stocking ideas. I am going to stick with mbunu. So first question is do I need to have 4 or more of each if I don't plan on breeding or can I do just a couple of each color I like?

Secondly, my stock wish list is Electric Yellow, Yellow Tail Acei, Red Zebra, Blue Cobalt Zebra and Rustys. Any issues with gnat group? How many of each? How many total? Anything else you would suggest?

Thanks

I dont plan on breeding and any accidental fry would not be sold (I understand the risk of cross breeding) so mixing zebra species or labs etc is not as much a concern there. I am wanting a colorful active tank and of course stocking levels and ratios to minimize aggression. I think I had read 1:4 for the electric yellows as an example, but wondered if haveing a single male and a single female would mean the female would be harassed or the male would be aggressive? I can see an issue with say 2 males and a single female or otherwise having the ratio off, but are the recommended ratios for breeding purposes or for general happiness/peacefulness?

I think they are to spead out agression. 1 and 1 would mean that the male would chase the female 24-7. I got rid of 1 male lab, he chased 3 females constantly to the point they were vertical in corners and trees. That being said - my tank now is active, not much agression, and I don't have proper ratios - just lots of hiding spots...

I think or at least in my experience no matter how you stock your tank there will always be a trouble maker. Over stock over filter and lots of hiding spots is key. I have found that using my qurantine tank as a sort of time out tank works well to. Worked for making my kenyi fit in.