Feeding Fry

Senroc

I've never had fish breed before so I'm not sure what I should be feeding the fry. I separated the female into a little tank and after a production of getting her into the net she spit out 3 and seemed to hanging onto a few more. Should I just grind up the food I've been feeding the adults or get actual fry food?

I've had tanks in the past where I've been completely non-observant and had minimal fry survive by just picking up the scraps from what the adults were eating.

If I get the fry into their own tank I try to feed them NLS (powder), First Bites, Baby Brine Shrimp etc. The more often the better along with small water changes to account for the water quality.

Anyways, there are so many different combinations but if you can get some smaller pieces of food in there they seem to pick at it.

If she's empty, you can move her back. I like to feed my mothers a couple good meals before moving them back (they haven't eaten in a month sometimes...). I also do it after lights out, so there is minimal tank agression. Mine didn't eat any babies, I kept them in for about 36 hours or so, after spitting.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Golden pearls are supposed to be a better alternative to live baby brine shrimp. No muss, no fuss. My fry just love it and they get switched over to larger golden pearls as they grow and then over to crushed flake and NLS pellets. The fry will always do better for growth i've found if you feed according to the size of their mouths and keeping them full all the time.