Cleaning Sand...

JennKenn

Hello, I'm setting up a 112 gallon aquarium and looked for some cheap sand. Got it at Burnco and washed it a few times before putting it in the aquarium. I had to wash it well since I had it outside and saw lots of cat paw prints in it after I bought it! Even with a filter running for about a day, the water was still muddy so I took it all out. Maybe I'll try washing it in the bathtub. It's going to be too cold to wash it outside.

Hello and welcome to AA.

Split the substrate into 3 parts. 2/3 don't bother rinsing anymore as it will make up the deeper part of your substrate level. The other 1/3 give a go a couple more times...it should be easier to work with than the whole lot. Bathtub works good...just make sure you clean it well before your significant other takes a dip. Otherwise http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=36620 can be chalked up in the negative column.

If your making a new planted tank....take a look at having a soil base before you add all the sand substrate!

added:

If you use generic sand like this which can hold a bit more dirt and debris than wanted use this tip. Use a HOB filter...wrap the filter screen with a non-dyed paper towel. Just wrap it once around. Throw it back in...run it for an hour. Remove and replace with new paper towel. Do this a few times and the water will be clear in no time. A benefit of doing this tip is that the fine particles will not just sink to the bottom to only again be whisked up in water current but will actually be removed. I've done this when needed and it works like a charm.

Happy Aquatics!

Edited by ckmullin

Oh yes cleaning Flourite Red or any other type in the bath tub generates more than a negative comment been there done that.LOL

Edited by flyfisher

• 4 weeks later...