Since There Is No Such Thing As A Dumb Question....

Traffic66

A high tech tank will have CO2, ph controller etc. A low tech tank won't. I would think that both can ghost fertilizers though. hi text tanks will have higher lighting as well as nutrient demands.

Edited by Jayba

a high tech tank involves test kits, thermometers, added chemicals,etc. A low tech tank uses the temperature finger(hmm...feels like about 75 degrees) and visual inspection(yup, they're all still alive and look there's more of them.....) I'm a big fan of the latter....

Are we talking planted tank, here?

You can have a lush tank in a "low tech" set up - check out my journal and I'd call all of my set ups "low tech". The highest tech I have is compressed CO2 and a light on a timer. If you want "high tech", think controlers and dosers. I use a spoon to dose dry ferts, which keeps costs way lower than the Flourish line. I use plain sand, too.

Yes, a planted tank. Understocked (12 guppies, 3 bn plecos and snails) 55 gallon with play sand substrate. Just currently running a beamswork LED until my Finnex planted+ gets in, a fluval 305, airstone etc. no dosing just weekly water changes. I just want better fuller growth.

If you want plants to get big and beautiful, you have to do what you do for your fish - good food and clean water. :) If you're adding a Finnex, then you'll need to supliment Carbon somehow - pick up some Metricide if you're not going to go CO2. Otherwise, you could be fighting algae really soon.