Planted Questions

Bruno

As example: http://www.homesalive.ca/nutrafin-mini-master-test-kit.html?fee=5&fep=1156&utm_source=Google_Feed_xml&utm_medium=Google_Feed_xml&utm_name=Google_Feed_xml&gclid=CK6qi-OkwrwCFQlhfgodtDAAcw

Get iron as well as phosphate.

All tests are standard to some degree. Don't get the strips...get the drop tests.

Edited by ckmullin

Sorry, should have said 'besides the api freshwater master I already use'

Just wondering if there are tests I 'should' be doing right away, or if tests like iron, phosphate, gh, kh etc are more of a concern as you move away from low tech?

I use plants as my test... I bought a test kit for my aquaponics system last year, but other than that I haven't used a test kit in over a decade. If your plants are healthy and algae isn't a problem, then all is good. If you're noticing something off, there are a few good threads with some links Pinned in the Planted Tank Forum that'll tell you exactly what's wrong.

When I see something off a bit, I first add more CO2, then a bit more KNO3 - those two things typically solve most problems in a planted tank, IME.

Sorry, I should also mention that I run an Estimative Index fertilizing system. It works great for growing plants for the lazy. :)

If you wanted more info on the internet I can provide dozens of links on for various aspects on planted tank.

I'd love those links please

as far as substrate goes, anyone know of a cheap place to get it (assuming flourite for example) or am I stuck paying whatever the LFS charges?

You do know you get a discount at Pisces, riverfront and Big Als as a CAS member?? Also make sure you get the right Kelvin temperature for the bulbs and don't forget vals and hygrophilias for lower light too!!