Help - I Am Watching My Fish Die - 3 In 5 Minutes

Bruno

I am doing a WC - tested water first, nitrates were getting up but everything else is ok, now as I am adding water, 2 demonsi suddenly went belly up - swam a little then died. Now a female has just died (not sure which one she was). A coupel of the yellow labs are acting strange. I added Prime, temp going in is good. What is happening????

So you didn't add it to the new water first? It's still more effective if you add it to the new water instead of the tank. If you added the new water and then the prime, the chlorine may have done it's damage already. How big of a water change did you do? Bottle says a double dose is safe. When I was on city water, I would let it age a day or two with a power head to provide agitation.

I use a python, so I add the Prime to the tank before I start adding new water. I did about a 75% water change, which is what I do every week. I have double dosed since starting this thread. Now just watching to see if anyone else has issues or is acting weird...

Sounds like chlorine, had this happen to me when first getting set up, real bummer. I would say now if you can find some seeded filter media (media from a filter on an established tank) and add it asap that would be the best, check nitrites and ammonia as well. Grab media from your other filters and put it into the filter on the 90 gal. This method is a little time consuming but I fill kitty litter buckets and let them sit for a day or more to use as fill water.

It's run off time of the year. If you didn't change your long standing routine, than it is the massive chlorimine they add to cope with run off. A chlorimine test on untreated tap water would rule it in / out for certain.

is there a chloramine/chlorine test available at the LFS? I have been keeping tanks for less then a year, so this is my first spring - had no idea I had to worry about this.

There have been no more deaths, and in fact everyone is acting back to normal coming to the front when I walk up, begging to be fed, colors are back to normal. I'll keep an eye on water parameters now in case the extra chlorine (assuming that was what caused my issue) has done any damage to my BB.

Re establish your bacterial colony asap with bio additive but more importantly the seeded filter media. As for chlorine try smelling and tasting the water, if you're worried look up msds info to see if prime will harm you although I highly doubt it would. Throwing money at the issue will not help as throwing time at it.

I will monitor ammonia/Nitrite the next few days to see if any harm came to my BB. My filters were off during this so if the issue was extra chlorine I am really hoping the double dose of Prime did the trick and everything will be OK. I dont want to move too quickly on relocating filter media or putting additives in until I am confident of what happened and if any other harm was done.

Are there any other possibilities other then chlorine that I should be aware of? Or anything else to watch other then water parameters and general health of fish?

I will be trying WC on the other tanks tomorrow, though I might go back to the bucket brigade for tomorrow while I try to figure out what happened.

I don't think it's chlorine. 2 caps of Prime for a 90 gallon tank should be more than sufficient to deal with the chlorine. As far as I know Calgary does not treat their water with chloramine. Chlorine only.

What type of substrate do you have? How deep is it?