Help - I Am Watching My Fish Die - 3 In 5 Minutes

Bruno

This was Edmonton's tap water tested yesterday at noon, by my lfs. For your 90, I would have added 4 capfuls of prime. I use 3 in my 75G during times like this, I empty out my water, add the prime, add a airstone to mix it through the water, then refill with the python after 15-20 minutes. I don't know Calgary's water parameters but having had something similiar happen to me last spring I believe it is the ammonia poisoning. Try smaller WC, 30 instead of 75% and if you have sponge filters start seeding them in other tanks (if they aren't already) so you can use them in the tanks you just did the WC on.

post-5607-0-00934600-1394984113_thumb.jpg

No more deaths, and water test today showed 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites so - again assuming it was chlorine related - my BB in the filters appear to be fine.

Did a WC in the 55G community tank - double dosed the prime - and everyone seems OK and it has been a couple of hours.

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's chlorine. 2 caps of Prime for a 90 gallon tank should be more than sufficient to deal with the chlorine. As far as I know Calgary does not treat their water with chloramine. Chlorine only.

What type of substrate do you have? How deep is it?

According to this link the City of Calgary uses sodium hypoclorite. http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Pages/Water-and-wastewater-systems/Water-treatment/Water-treatment-tour/Clarified-Water-Basin.aspx

According to what I learned in pool operations as a lifeguard, sodium hypoclorite will raise the pH of water. Chloramines are formed when chlorine combines with organic substances as part of its disinfecting and oxidizing role. Chloramines still have some remaining disinfecting and oxidizing ability, but they are also what cause water to smell like chlorine.