Looking For Some Diy Cave Ideas

Psylant

Hi everyone,

I have a 450g aquarium that I'm looking to put a fairly large (3'x1.5'x1' or so) natural looking rock cave in my tank. I was going to make this out of clay but it cracked while drying at the pottery studio into a million pieces. I just don't think it's meant to make things quite this large! Does anyone have another idea of a material this could be done with? I've heard fiberglass and concrete aren't very fish safe so I'd like to steer clear of those. Ideally the cave will be one large solid piece so that my Mbu puffer can't knock it down. I''m hoping my clown loaches will use it as a refuge if required :)

Looking forward to hearing ideas from the community! If all else fails I could just make a stack of large driftwood pieces.

You think it would be strong enough? On a small cave, I would agree. On something that's gonna be holding together 40+lbs of rocks...I'm not so sure. It would be cheap and easy though...

stone and silicone

done properly no silicone will be visible

if you need stone give me a shout

Will anything be on the cave? If not I found a neat idea that you could modify while looking at diy caves for axolotls. This might work for you. http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f59-axolotl-tank-set-ups-filters-substrate/85464-do-yourself-homemade-hides.html

You think it would be strong enough? On a small cave, I would agree. On something that's gonna be holding together 40+lbs of rocks...I'm not so sure. It would be cheap and easy though...

stone and silicone

done properly no silicone will be visible

if you need stone give me a shout

very strong. I'd trust that more than a man made clay cave

Edited by ckmullin

There is some stuff like concrete called Fijicrete that is being used for dry reef rock, I would assume it's safe for freshwater as well. There are some Youtube videos of it being used, if you want to check it out.

Thanks for the idea. I took a brief look around and I think this is used as a glue more than as a building material.

Will anything be on the cave? If not I found a neat idea that you could modify while looking at diy caves for axolotls. This might work for you. http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f59-axolotl-tank-set-ups-filters-substrate/85464-do-yourself-homemade-hides.html

Maybe tie some plants to it if I get adventurous but nothing heavy or large. I would like to make something more natural than those caves and irregularly shaped. Maybe I could buy a large rubbermaid tub and melt it with a heatgun or something if I get desperate but I'd like something more abstract if possible :). Keep in mind the puffer will get very large and strong as he matures. Basically imagine him as a toddler :) haha.

very strong. I'd trust that more than a man made clay cave

I've tried to silicone slate pieces together before and they often fall apart without much stress on them. That's what worries me. Maybe if I am overly liberal with the silicone and do a better job of cleaning the rocks it would work better. Perhaps I could use some plastic or metal mesh and seal it in silicone to help provide some structure?

I know I'm new but I just thought I would throw in that I have had success with concrete decorations with a pond sealant applied basically as paint.

Thanks for your input. I've posed this question on a another forum and someone recommended using portland cement + shredded fiberglass + acrylic fortifiers + sand, painted over a foam structure with fiberglass matting on it. You paint it on until it's 3/4" or so thick and then use acetone to melt away the foam you can't chip out. Then seal with some type of clear epoxy. I might have a look for the materials tonight. I'd like to get this done before it gets too chilly to work outside!

Check out my rock-wall journal.

This is interesting, however the tank is already full and I need to construct the cave outside and then move it. Will the foam hold something 3' long together?

Just build the rocks up while in the tank. If you look at my 90gal journal, that was all done with water and fish in the tank