Finally! Green Laser Spawn

SuperGuppyGirl

So around 1:30 today noticed my greenlasers out and about. Usually they hide so stepped toward the tank and stopped dead in my tracks, there were eggs on the front glass pane in little clumps of 3-5 and sure enough my chunky momma green came over followed by a male popped 3 more onto the glass. So I documented the spawn to share, but think I may need a new test kit as the readings seem a bit odd. Thinking my trigger might have been that I cleaned both filters (bad me) yesterday. Here's hoping I can raise them and do it again.

Approx 1:30 pm Sept 25/14

PH 6.5 - 7

Nitrate 110

Nitrite 0.8

Ammonia 0

Temp 77F / 25C

3F 2M (approximately 2.5 years old)

Glass front

1F 2M spawning not group

Tankmates Aphysemion Christyi, Apistogramma Borelli

30 G tank, 50G eheim elite hob, 50G sponge filter

Moderately planted (swords & crypts), broken Terra cotta pots, driftwood with some moss attached looselyloosely

Food- hikari 8 veggie flake, NLS community flake (mixed and fed daily), frozen bloodworms (1/week)

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

To start was 1M and 1F with other male trying to tempt other 2 F. After 30min no success, joined other male courting gravid female. Males tend to lose track of female a lot and end up chasing each other till they find her again. Other 2 females not interested, 1 doesn't look chunky enough, and just forage around tank. Gravid female seeming to prefer original male over 2nd late comer. Spawning lasted approximately 1-2 hours with 30 eggs deposited on front glass, no others found around tank. They took a break for 2 hours, second female followed by 2 males deposited 70 eggs again on front glass no others found in tank. First 30 were removed from tank to breeder box with 2 drops methyl blue after 1 hour no activity. Last 70 eggs were removed and added to breeder box.

Kool! I like watching mine breed too and yes i find they do it after a big water change or cleaning.I think its all the fresh water that entices them to lay their eggs.Raising them is a bit tricky and you will lose likely lose a bunch.Good luck and enjoy.

I think the bump in Nitrites is due to cleaning both filters - you probably went through a mini cycle. Obviously, there was no detriment to the fish!! Keep us updated - if you can get some pics, that'd be cool!

I'll try and get some hatching pics for sure. The nitrites I expected but the pH just seemed wonky as this is just tap water with prime, water comes out of the north Saskatchewan directly to Devon. PH out of the tap is 7.5, and I don't treat the water with anything but prime and the occasional Indian almond leaves

• 3 weeks later...

So around 1:30 today noticed my greenlasers out and about. Usually they hide so stepped toward the tank and stopped dead in my tracks, there were eggs on the front glass pane in little clumps of 3-5 and sure enough my chunky momma green came over followed by a male popped 3 more onto the glass. So I documented the spawn to share, but think I may need a new test kit as the readings seem a bit odd. Thinking my trigger might have been that I cleaned both filters (bad me) yesterday. Here's hoping I can raise them and do it again.

Approx 1:30 pm Sept 25/14

PH 6.5 - 7

Nitrate 110

Nitrite 0.8

Ammonia 0

Temp 77F / 25C

3F 2M (approximately 2.5 years old)

Glass front

1F 2M spawning not group

Tankmates Aphysemion Christyi, Apistogramma Borelli

30 G tank, 50G eheim elite hob, 50G sponge filter

Moderately planted (swords & crypts), broken Terra cotta pots, driftwood with some moss attached looselyloosely

Food- hikari 8 veggie flake, NLS community flake (mixed and fed daily), frozen bloodworms (1/week)

Just thought I'd share my experience as my perimeter are different. Before I do, by change did you have a low pressure front come through the day they spawned?

My tank is a 65 gallon tall, 3f and 4m. Thank Matt's are otto's and a betta. I keep the tank at room temperature, I have to fertilize bi weekly just to have nitrates due to the plants. I run an eheim 2213 & 2217 with a hydor 825 gph power head. I wish I could predict when they spawn but I can't, I just feed them live and frozen food to keep them healthy and nature seems to take care of the rest. On a side note I believe that my group is getting to old for breeding as the spawns lately have been small. Good luck with your group and fry.

According to friendly forecast, global Edmonton and weather network the only change was an increase in pressure by 1 degree. All I remember of the weather was clear sunny with a bit of wind lol I keep an eye out for storms and such as the black corys i have due tend to like them and can usually induce spawning with them with a storm and a new tank.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

As I always seem to kill off my microworm cultures, I've been feeding them the repashy but not in gel form. Fed once a day 3 heaping spoons once a day. It doesn't foul the water and allows them to forage all day. I do use a small pipette to suction off the leftover before the next feeding, only problem is it does collect in the sponge over the out feed from the breeder but a quick squeezing in the main tank clears it. Plus the fish in the main tank will scavenge it.

post-5607-0-41335800-1413388730_thumb.jpg

post-5607-0-54993300-1413388751_thumb.jpg

post-5607-0-42143900-1413388778_thumb.jpg

post-5607-0-93830600-1413388797_thumb.jpg

post-5607-0-17416700-1413388824_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

Yet another update lol did a WC after taking fry pics last night and guess what? Yup they are spawning again, started again around 1pm (which is going to suck, when I'm back at work and can't snag the eggs) with a single female and single male, the second male joined about an hour later, hopefully another female joins as very few eggs so far

And yup another joined in and have a total of 80 eggs collected, if this batch goes as well as the first batch I'm going to run out of room to house fry and all I have left is a 15 long.

And yup another joined in and have a total of 80 eggs collected, if this batch goes as well as the first batch I'm going to run out of room to house fry and all I have left is a 15 long.

Wish I had your problems! Haha! That's awesome!