Neocaridina's

Vimmer

I am of the understanding that "Snowball" and "Cherry" shrimp are different breeds of the same thing. You can keep them in the same tank, and you would get mixing, it would devalue the shrimp away from a 'pure' line. However, if you like the color mixing, go for it.

Lets see, some red cherry shrimp, some yellow cherry shrimp, some blue cherry shrimp, would I be able to make the rainbow?

Edited by Iceturf

The AquaClear sponge is a perfect prefilter for HOBs, just cut and X that goes about 1/2 way thru the length of the sponge and slide it over the intake

They are hardy from what I've read but don't they take brackish water to complete breeding cycle same as crystals/ saluwesi?

Amano require brackish water to breed but they also live for like 10+ years so they will outlive pretty much all the shrimps in tanks even without breeding.

Crystals and most sulawesi shrimps breed fine in freshwater.

Be careful with ghost shrimps - some of them will hunt down smaller shrimps like the cherry shrimps if you keep them in the same tank.

Amano require brackish water to breed but they also live for like 10+ years so they will outlive pretty much all the shrimps in tanks even without breeding.

Be careful with ghost shrimps - some of them will hunt down smaller shrimps like the cherry shrimps if you keep them in the same tank.

Really crystals will breed in freshwater that may change things. Disappointed to hear ghosts will predate the Neo's. Generally speaking can Neo's and crystals share and breed in same tank? Would like some variety but no way wife's going to let me get another tank for a bit. She wanted zero. Me (with daughter as trump card heh heh heh) got 10g which led to inheriting a 36 with most accessories. Was planning on setting up 10g as dual species shrimp tank.

The AquaClear sponge is a perfect prefilter for HOBs, just cut and X that goes about 1/2 way thru the length of the sponge and slide it over the intake

Thanks figured it should work but wanted to check. Will still be bubblers for o2 but if a sponge will work why waste the HOB filtering cabability

Really crystals will breed in freshwater that may change things. Disappointed to hear ghosts will predate the Neo's. Generally speaking can Neo's and crystals share and breed in same tank? Would like some variety but no way wife's going to let me get another tank for a bit. She wanted zero. Me (with daughter as trump card heh heh heh) got 10g which led to inheriting a 36 with most accessories. Was planning on setting up 10g as dual species shrimp tank.

well it all depends on your parameters - they can coexist but there is a only a small overlap between their parameters. If you want to do both you would want to aim for the following parameters

ph: 6.8

gH: 3-6

kH: 0-1

temp 24 C

if the ph go any lower than 6.6, I found it really slowed down the growth and reproduction rate of my neo's. If hte temp or pH goes higher than above my crystal start to suffer. Essentially you are keeping the Red Crystal (CRS) at the upper end of their range and the neo's are the lower end of their range.

There are also a few other options for shrimp mates for neo's; I currently keep my neo's with the following shrimps but none are what i would call beginners shrimps

Orange Eye Blue Tigers - pH 7, gH 6 kh 1, temp 22C - require lower temperatures compared to CRS

Green Babaulti - pH 7.5, gH 7, kH 3, Temp 26C - probably the closest to middle of the Neo's range

Sulawesi shrimps - pH 8.5. gH 5, kH 4. Temp 30 C - upper end of the neo's range but Sulawesi are very very sensitive and generally hard to come by.

I use RO water for all my tanks and remineralize as needed to specific parameters. If you are just using tap water, the only one that might work is the Green Babaulti unless you use an active buffer substrate to lower your pH and soften your water.

Ok so that clears that up because until I spend the $ on an RO system for my house I can pretty much only keep Neo's if that. Natural Ph out here is 7.8 - 8.2 from tests I've ran in past few weeks. Put 6 teaspoons of 9.6%acid in 5 gallon pail over the weekend trying to get it neutral, got to 7.4 stablized but won't push past and I'd be afraid to put that much acid in a tank with critters. Saw a thread with discussion about lowering gradually with RO water changes so that may work until purchase and install home system

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so all the little pumpkins seem to have survived the trip and drip; once drip was done and placed in tank they seemed to enjoy new home and scurried off to the plants in tank and started chowing down on some of the decaying leaves. We'll see what the next 24 hours brings but hopefully everything is good and things take off. Thanks again Hung.