Parasites. What To Do?

vince0

Put in a QT tank, use Paraguard. That's what I've done in the past and raised the temp on the tank. If the whole main tank is possibly affected maybe just remove your chemical filtration and treat the whole tank. Some fish are more sensitive to chemicals then others so this is always a risk. Do your water changes as well.

Are they internal or external parasites? External parasites (like ich) can be treated by raising the temp to mid 80s and adding salt and/or Melanie with heavy aeration. Some internal bugs can be purged by simply feeding something with high garlic like NLS Thera+A.

There are a few other methods listed on this site (check the Emergencies thread) for treating parasites.

Melafix eh?

I know... I know... I've read the snake-oil articles too. I've also used it and had success ridding external parasites (flukes, ich, velvet). If you don't want to use it, go with salt - look up a ich article on Google for dosing.

I've read the salt bath thing for rainbows. I find this interesting. I'm split at this point, I'm tempted to try and breed her quickly and euthanize.

If she's productive, why not try a simple salt treatment and keep her reproducing? Seems like a bit of a waste not to try - unless you're just keeping the fish for BAP and will need the space in relative short order.

Do you have a pleco in the tank with her? It kinda looks like a wound the exact shape of a pleco bite. If that's the case, it really isn't much to worry about... just move the pleco and keep the tank clean