Suggestions?

Bruno

So I am going to go plant shopping this weekend, but have no idea really what I am looking for. Trying to research plants has been mind boggling with all the different varieties out there, so I am hoping some of you can help me narrow down my choices. I am looking for easier plants to see how green my aquatic thumb is.

I have a 90 gallon, a fluval aqualife and plant 46w LED, fx6 filter and Eco-complete substrate. I does Excel according to the bottles instructions, but have no idea if there are other ferts or anything else I should be adding. no CO2 yet, but I am working to fit that into the budget, hopefully soon. Inhabitants are Turquoise rainbowfish, german blue rams, rummynose tetras, green laser corys, and a couple of clown loaches. I have a couple of boesemani coming, hopefully this weekend.

Currently I have a Red Flame Sword, some Corkscrew Valesnaria, some Narrow Leaf Chain Sword, Java Fern, Anubias, willow hygrophilia, and a small water sprite. The tank is new and not all the plants are doing great :( I also have some algae issues I am working on.

Here is a recent pic:

IMG_0427_zps97f4dbf2.jpg

And here is pic of what I would love to have it looking like if I can identify the plants or have something similar for my lighting:

ScreenShot2014-11-27at100355AM_zpsd5c67b

Yu might want to check out black Friday specials. Big Al's has buy one get a plant for a dollar and I think Riverfront's anniversary sale is still on, 50 percent off.

You'll want to balance your nutrients. Algae is very opportunistic, and when things aren't balanced, it takes over. Carbon is the most often under-dosed nutrient, but if you're adding Excel per the instructions, you should be good... switch over to Metricide (I'm guessing ckmullin suggested as much in his PM) to save a TONNE of money, if you don't want to go CO2. With that amount of light, you're likely short on Nitrogen; stop by a Hydroponics store or order online some KNO3. You'll also need some KH2PO4 and a trace mix. I've pinned an article on dosing the Estimative Index method of fertilizing - I find it to be the easiest method to follow for planted tanks (check out some of my journal threads to see what it looks like).

Get as many plants as you can - especially fast growing plants. Other hobbyists are the best source when they trim b/c you'll likely get a tonne for cheap!! Club auctions are also a great source for lots of plants for cheap. Stores can have good deals, but often their plants were grown emersed (like your sword), and all of the original leaves will rot. Chop off all of the leaves on your sword that have a long stem - the submergent growth will come in quicker.

Once your fast growing plants are established and you're not fighting algae (might take a month or so), you can start replacing some of them with other plants you like.

• 2 weeks later...