Fishless Cycle - First Time

Tyler79

So I have been trying to cycle a 280g with about 90g sump tank for about 2 weeks now. This is the first time I have ever attempted a "FISH LESS CYCLE". I have been keeping the ammonia up between 2 - 4 ppm using 100% pure ammonia. I had taken my filter from my other tank and squeezed the juices out as well as pulled some of the bio out and added it to the new tank.

Today I checked my ammonia and it's still sitting around 2.0ppm but my Nitrites read 0ppm and my Nitrate reads 5.0ppm. Am I on the right track or is something screwy since I don't see any Nitrites?

Thanks so much,

Tyler

Edited by Tyler79

Your adding ammonia, 0 nitrite and showing nitrate. could be it is already cycled. stop adding ammonia and see what numbers exist.

Just wait. This is a hobby of patience. Using old filter material is good and your on the right track.

If the tank is cycled it is then cycled. Do what you'd like at that point.

Edited by ckmullin

I agree w. ckmullin - if you have a nitrate reading, there's a really good chance the bacteria are already working. Stop adding the ammonia, and if it goes down during the course of the day, you know you're done.

Nitrites can be tricky when I fishless-cycled I used seeded media as well.When I dosed ammonia then did my tests 24hrs. later nitrites always showed zero so did ammonia, but I did show nitrates.Try testing for nitrites a few hours after dosing ammonia regardless you should be able to start stocking slowly.