How big of a tank would they need?

Raven

I've a 30 g long that i want to set up slightly different from the communal set up i have in my 30 g regular. Cichlids have always been the type of fish im attracked to when looking around in the stores, and the bonus of getting to feed them live foods when be a nice change. Anyway, id like to know if a 30 g is to small for them. Or is there certain kinds thats will live comfortable in a tank of this size? If so, how many would be able to get along with out much problems. Please keep in mind that im considering africans too, and i know not to mix the types together. Anyway, this would be my first cichlid setup and im wondering what info you guys could give me.

What types of cichlids are you thinking of?There are quite a few that would do well in a 30g. The dwarf cichlids(rams,some apistos) would do well. IT would be best to stick with less aggresive smaller cichlids since it is only a 30g.

If this were my tank i would do a nicely planted ram tank. I have a 15g planted ram/cardinal tank and its one of my favorite tanks.

Not sure what you mean by feeding live foods. Any fish can be fed live foods. Are you talking about feeding feeders?

You could have a pair of Archocentrus species in there. Convicts are the most common and a lot of fun however there are many other overlooked species such as spilurum, or sajica. If you wanted something a little more exotic you could go for honduran red point sp.

http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/honduran.male.jpg

If you wanted to go for a solo cichlid that is very aggressive you could look at a salvini in a planted tank with some mid, to top dwelling a FAST tetras.

Lots of choices for neotropicals. There is absolutely no reason why you have to go african on us. :P

lol, thanks guys, ive got a simmaller post going on at petfish.net. And ive norrowed if down to one type of africans, or some type of S. American ones. Ive been told that alot of the Afircain grow to be very big and need atlest a 55g. But the one type of affricans , from lake Tananyikan, theres suposedly shell dwellers i could pick from, so right now im hoping for some more info on that typs fish and the types i could get which im told is from the Altolamprologus, Neolamprologus and Julidochromis families. I also know practicals nothing about the S. American ones, what could you guys tell me? .. oh and to make things easier heres a link to the petfish thread. That way youll be able to look at the info i have already and will be able to add to it, or dissaggree with it. lol. http://www.petfish.net/forum/index.php?boa...;threadid=14414

Ohh, and the thing with the live foods.... thats just my anticipation of seeing a fish eat another fish >.> lol, anyway, hopefully you all will be able to help narrow down my search. Thanks.

Well how could I let this topic end without adding the appeal of Gymnogeophagus like Rhabdotus which get to a nice 5" and a pair of rams, mixed with a few cories, adding a silica sand bottom adding nice stick like logs some black water exctract a good solidly potted Echinodorus osirus, some java fern tied here and there to some logs or even javamoss to the logs for appeal, which I do by laying javamoss down the length of the log, tying on with fishing line and then leaving for a few weeks after moss has attached itself and this works best if you rough up the log in places you want the moss to attach itself with sand paper coarse grain or even a saw gong back and forth over the area before attaching and then after the few weeks trim off the fishing line and the excess java give it a good short even trim you'll be happy you did. Some have even used a short tank filled the tank half full with water added the log, lay java moss all over the log and cover with tight glass lid or saran wrap and place in sunny window. After awhile provided you used logs with lots of tannin or filter with a peat bag your tank will be low aggression with good sized cichlids and tonnes of character. Even adding a small pleco such as ancistrus wouldn't hurt. As for live foods. Whiteworms, grindals, daphnia, guppy fry will all be eaten here as will frozen foods such as mysis, bloodworms, brineshrimp, etc.... With the black water and darkened tank your fish will glow with color and carry that mysterious appeal that calms and soothes all that view it. You could even use a dark gravel instead of the sand but all geophagines, and cories love sand better and it looks more natural. The geophagines in mention do sift alot but are not true burrowers except during spawn where they dig fry pits, many of them sometimes up to 15 prior to spawn and then move fry several times a day from pit to pit. Anyways that is my suggestion.

Sounds like a nice set up, but i'm kinda limited to a gravel substrate. Are the cichlids picky about what in the tank? lol. Would your recomened size be about 4-5" for a 30g? if so how many of that size can be kept in the tank?Any other suggestions would be helpfull:)

Gravel is okay as long as it's rounded and not too sharp as in some of the african cichlld substrates. Keeping a pair of rams with a pair of Rhabdotus , 3 cories and 1 BN pleco works only the males achieve 5" in the geophags so I would say With the above combo unless you went panda cories which are about as small as you could put with 5" fish, hastatus or pygmaeus would be eaten too easily. You would have about 25" of fish in a 30 gallon tank. You could always max out the 1" of fish per gallon using a female BN pleco or a couple more cories as they always look best in groups.

The gravel i have, thats second hand has small blue gravel with larger with gravel mixed into it, ive also got more white gravel and some really ugly pink stuff im trying to aviod. As far as rocks and all go, ive a white and black one i previously had in my tropical tank, i also have some small river rock from the mountains and some coral and other sea shells. Just based on that what fish would you pick? please keep in mind i will buy some other hollow things to provide more shelter.... ill up date you on those developments. I really hant to get a cichlid that eats other fish, i only know of oscars and they grow up to 12" long, so they are WAY too big for me plans. Ive had electric yellows and bumblebees suggested to me alot too, and thanks to some of the sites the guys from petfish gave me i kinda know how to sex them too. Like i told them, i really have my heart set on a Hap... what would you guys suggest?... i think thats enough q's for now.

What are kribs like? ive a few links that gave me some info on them from petfish, but i dont reallt know what they go with? I think 1 pair will be ok if i can get them,what other cichlids would they be ok with? Are they ok with the other fish im thinking of? Will they get along with my usdcatfish? I think they both come from rivers if i remember right. Any way? id like to know what you guys think, please!

the links on kribs:

http://www.petfish.net/krib.htm

http://www.petfish.net/kribensis.htm

http://www.petfish.net/kribalex.htm

Abyother tips on these fish?? im close to finalizing what i want, were could i get most of these fish in edmonton?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with smokey. I prefer to set up species tanks not tank with 1 or 2 of a bunch of different species. I think it looks better and you get to experience more natural behaviour.

Choose either the kribs, shellies or the peacocks. Each of these species need different tank set ups so its best not to mix them.

Ive chosen a trio of Alonocara hansbaechi (sp) and because i thought theyd look lonly in a 30g, i though a trio of yeloow labs would look nice to. They share a simmilar diet and both need a rock cave set up right? Im still working on the setup, ive about 100 buck worth the differt rock decorations and know im looking into the DIY projects. Im interested in doing something with clay, but im not sure my old high school would let me use the kilm. Could i get some help with this? And some one to help me shop for the fish... i figure next monthish, so i dont mix up when sexing them. I thought 1 male 2 female for each trio would be nice. Any suggestions?

For buying nice and cheap fish your best bet would be the aquarium club auction that should be next month. THere is usually tons of peacocks available. PLus this way you might be able to get a proven trio. Sometimes stores don't carry the females.

As for clay what do you have in mind? For my african tank i just used large piles of rocks. This way it looks more natural. Never seen anyone build somethign with clay. Are you sure the clay is safe to use in aquariums?