Plants Growing Slow

jon2far

I have val,amazon swords and in process of getting more plants.

However 2years later my plants are more or less stagnant.

I have a basic plant bulb, use carbon,excel and root tabs.

What could i do to throw these plants into hyper drive?

If you have CO2 AND Excel, but aren't dosing any other ferts, then I'd guess you've got some nutrient limitation. Also, if you only have a single bulb over a 120 (going by your intro post), I have my doubts you have enough light to drive plant growth.

If you give some detials about your system, we could probably taylor some advice.

For lighting i have crap fixture with floramax bulb single

use root tabs,carbon and excel.

im kinda on limited budget (1yr old and another in sept)

I really wanna upgrade filtration first.

Also its a tall tank so i bet that hinders growth as well.

Gonna keep my eyes out for used lighting.

whats should i get?

Sunblaster T5HO fixtures are relatively cheap and should get the penetration you need on the 120 - is it a 48" long tank? If you go with 2x 48" Sunblasters (come with reflectors), you'll have enought light to grow pretty much anything. Pick them up at any hydroponics store, and while you're there get some dry fertiliser, too.

When I had planted tanks, I used the Estimative Index method - there's a pinned thread to get your grocery list from.

Agreed about the sunblasters but keep it simple. Get a basic fert or come on out to a CAS meeting. Some of the planty guys have an awesome DIY fert mix. Also, you might have some issues with the vals and the excel..

It's counter productive to run granular carbon in a planted tank filter. Ditch all that and use filter floss from walmart, $5 a bag will last at least a couple years. If it's a good planted tank then do a 50% water change every two weeks. If you intend to dose ferts then a water change might be needed just a tad more often.