Satellite Freshwater + Led Light Not Working

Tracyp

So I just bought a 55 gallon planted tank off kijiji and it came with the Satellite Freshwater LED V 1.0 light fixture. When I was picking it up buddy said it wasn't working as the remote needed a battery. I got a new battery and low and behold it still doesn't work.

Pretty bummed as it's nice light and not to mention I need a replacement asap before my plants start dying off. Has anyone had any experience with these lights? It seems like an awesome light except there is no on/off switch on the light itself it can only be operated by the remote so I have no idea if it's the remote or the fixture itself.

Really hoping it can be fixed as my BF is already unimpressed with the newest tank addition (he thinks 4 tanks are 4 too many) will be most unimpressed if I end up shelling out more cash lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Okay so if I understand this correctly... You don't know if the problem is:

Case 1 - the light works and the remote does not work

Case 2 - the light does not work and the remote does not work

Case 3 - the light does work and the remote does not work

Email the manufacturer and explain the problem, see if you can get a replacement remote or if they have any simple fixes for you. I have a hard time believing the LED isn't made to work without the remote. If that is the case, wow poor design work.

In terms of something being fixed, there are many many reasons something electrical like that could be damaged. If you don't smell any obvious electrical smells off the light, you don't see any damaged LED's anywhere then open up the remote. Look for any damaged electrical pins, any electrical pads missing parts, etc.

If you can take a high res. photo of the circuit board on the remote, I can look it over briefly (though that won't tell me if there are any damaged pins necessarily).

Thanks for the reply!

I e-mailed the manufacturer today so hopefully I'll get a response soon. and yes it is indeed a poor design the more reviews I read the more I regret my purchase; at least the tank is nice. Just looking at the remote and it is glued together I would be afraid of cracking the circuit board if I start prying at it.

ouch. heard too many stories about bad tanks and bad fixtures on kijiji. aside from buyer beware let the seller know it's not working...a small chance their a stand-up person and do something perhaps give it a shot....just an e-mail/call.

Yea I should have known better. It was a good deal but without the lights I'm hooped. I've e-mailed him but I'm not expecting much. If anyone knows of anyone selling a good light for plants let me know. I do have two fluorescent tubes on it maybe I can find some tubes that would be alright for the plants? I'm a newbie to the larger planted tanks lol

Take the light and remote to Big Al's, I believe they still sell Satellite+ lights.

Ask them nicely if they can help you troubleshoot it, I know Big Al's in Edmonton usually has a Satellite+ on display somewhere in the store which you could use to test your remote, then you could test your light with their remote.

Or see if anyone on here has one of the lights and is willing to help in a similar manner.

Excellent idea! I was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if anyone around here sold them but for sure I'll try that tomorrow!

I've exhausted every other option I ended up taking apart the remote and found it's a pretty cheap design so there's a good chance it could be that as I checked out the internal wires on the light an there's no corrosion, frayed wiring or anything so it's either the remote or the infrared sensor on the lights.

Here's to hoping there's a way to order another remote.