Bets Plants For Edmonton Tap Water?

maligne

Should be the same as Calgary; anubias, java fern, vals, amazon swords, crypts.. Make sure you're getting plants that have been grown submersed too. Find some local plant growers and get your plants from them!!

I've grown just about everything in Edm tap water. I do usually add a carbon suppliment (CO2, Metricide/Excel). The thing most people don't realize is that if you want plants to grow, they need to eat! Proper lighting is also important, but with a low-teck design, the color temp (or spectrum) is probably a bit more important. If you have a flourescent light, get a Daylight bulb - they're cheaper at hardware stores than at the petstore.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input every one. Im fairly new to the hobby. I have a 55 low tech with pool filter sand and sunblaster t5ho lighting. I cant seem to grow much and thought maybe it was my hard tap water. I had three beautiful amazon swords that slowly shrivled up to nothing over the course of 4 months. I striped my tank down yesterday sucked up my sand and put some fluorite down and then put the sand back in over top and planted some vals and a red sword plant. I am dosing seachem iron, seachem comprehensive and excel.