drift wood

neatfreak

My experience is that if you can find it already sunken, your quest is all but over. Just clean it with a nice salty bath, and you should be good to go. However, if it's dry, it may take a while to get it to sink.

2 methods I've used to sink dry driftwoond:

1 - wedge it in the tank. With pieces that are long, this is pretty easy - either wedge it across the tank at the height you want it, or wedge it from back top to front bottom.

2 - silicone it to stones. You'll need a surprizingly heavy stone to keep it from pulling everything up!

HTH.

Just make sure you're picking up driftwood. That means, it's been drifting for a while. It shouldn't have any sap left, and all bark will be polished off.

There may be some bugs on it, which is why I opt for a strong salt bath. That should kill anything that lives in fresh water, and probably most things that live in the ocean. You could use bleach, but I'd be afraid it'd wreck the color.

I've read on other forums that people who get their own drift wood should worry about sap, bugs, and other things that could pollute your water.  Do you think they're just being paranoid? 

It's so expensive to buy it would be great to just get your own.

I boil my driftwood and then bake it! Btw, thats the only thing I cook! B)

I remember boiling the big trunk stump that is in my 90G. I still can see the bugs crawling out! :guns: Took care of them. :boxer:

Other than that, there shouldnt be anything in the wood after that. :thumbs:

Edited by ronrca

Just a thought, but I would go down to Burbank and check along the river if I was you Neatfreak. After the flooding this summer, there may be some good stuff just north of the Blindman??

When I was there earlier this year, the water had washed up all kinds of trees.

But you never know, there may be good stuff @ Grandma's house too!

Edited by Majestic_Aquariums

You better hurry before the snow comes. It would be kind of hard searching for wood in snow and frozen water :lol:

Whenever i find driftwood I soak it in really hot water( or boil it if the wood is small enough). The problem you will usually have with found driftwood is that it wont' sink. So i usually keep it submerged in a bucket untill it does(drilling tiny holes all around it helps sink it faster).

But to kill any of the baddies that might be living in it I just use boiling water.

I have also tried bleaching before but it does lighten the wood and you have to be careful that you are sure all the bleach is gone before you add it to the tank.

I have picked up my wood from various placesfrom the North Saskatchewan river

and also from the prairies out by Manyberries (on the Lost River Ranch). If it's been in the river or on the bank for a while I just rinse and put it in the tank. Boiling helps to make it sink quicker otherwise I have tied it to a piece of slate (with holes drilled in the slate) using fishing line or else I let it float till it becomes waterlogged. It breaks down faster than the african and malaysian wood because it is probably spurce, poplar or willow but the price is right(free).

I have had no adverse effects in any of my tanks.