Cichlid tank setup

oscarfan

Ok. Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. I need tips on how to setup my tank to be ideal for my cichlids.

Currently i have one 4" Gold Severum and a pair of red empress (2").

i plan on adding a couple frontosa.

It's a 46G Bowfront. I currently have a vase (large with a broken out bottom - the fish love it) and a set of roots on a gravel bottom (the bagged stuff you can get at walmart)..

Not sure about whether crushed coral would be a better idea or if i should add anything else?

Then i'd decide if you want to do a CA cichlids tank(with your severum) or any African tank(with your red empress). 

As you can see we have quite a diverse collection in our office tank, is it politically correct.... no but everyone gets along. BTW the sererums are about 4 inch and the tank is a 90 running 2 ac-500s and weekly wc.AQUARIUM.jpg

Edited by HOSStile

Thanks for the advice. As for the frontosa's. I can agree that long term it's not a great setup for frontosa's.. But being that they grow exceptionally slow and were recommended by Albert (golds) for the tank, I felt relatively comfortable adding them.. provided they are added at a small size. But long term.. absolutely not a good fit for them.

I was primarly asking how to setup the tank.. ie: coral, driftwood.. etc.. or is my current setup a good one? I'm only putting in low agression fish. Red empress were recommended as a fine option by Albert, hence the reason for adding them in. You are absolutely correct on being cautious about which ones to add however.

If you have more thoughts on a good mix, i'd be happy to hear them.

Edited by oscarfan

Here's some info and links that should help with stocking and tank arrangement:

"Due to the size of this Hap, it is not recommended that you keep it in anything smaller than 75 gallons, with 100+ gallons being the preferred minimum. This Hap needs lots of room to swim about."

taken from:

Red Empress

"The severum is a fairly peaceful cichlid, although it will destroy plants and occasionally dig in the gravel. They will eat small fish such as most common livebearers and tetras therefore they should be kept with other larger peaceful cichlids such as the Blue Acara. The severum like the Discus is a somewhat shy fish and should be kept with fish of similar habits."

taken from:

Severum

"The tank should be decorated simply with a few rocks, which are important to give these shy cichlids a sense of security. Don't overdo it with lots of rocks or sharp rocks. These fish move slow until they get spooked - then they are lightning fast and very clumsy."

taken from:

Frontosa

Have a look around cichlid-forum.com and you'll find a lot more helpful info.

Believe it or not I think the reason for the peace in the office tank is because it is overstocked. It is difficult for males to establish and hold a territory when there are so many neighbours, the only aggression displayed in this tank is the dom. male nyerei when he is trying to round up his 4 girlfriends. They have been living in this configuration for 3 months without so much as a scratch. At home I have a mix of 3 male green terrors, 3 severums and 2 big angel fish with some haps with no problem. Any fish in my tanks that act up lose TV privileges. But seriously, I closely monitor the fish in my 9 tanks and swap fish around as necessary, and most of all maintain good water quality.

Wow. So i'm getting poor information from Golds? Why on earth would he suggest this setup if it's so obviously not the right maneuver?

Do you plan on setting up a larger tank in a couple months?

But even if you do set up a big tank for the fronts i dont' know why he'd recommend keeping a severum with african haps in a small tank. Its not the most ideal tankmates.

Wow. So i'm getting poor information from Golds? Why on earth would he suggest this setup if it's so obviously not the right maneuver?

The information from the net is usually in reference to long-term arrangements with full-grown fish.

Some things will work out short-term with young fish that won't work out forever.

Also - some people know from experience that some combinations work that don't necessarily look like they'd work on paper.

Edited by johnsmith

I wouldn't mix

africans with south american's :unsure:

My question to you is, because the books say not to, because the habitat is different, water ph. what? I have seen 2 male zebra obliquidens try to tear each other's tails off because 3 girls were not enough for either one. Yet I have 3 male green terrors living in peace because there is no lady to fight over. We have very little clues to tell us when a fish is happy, far less than indications that a fish is stressed. My point is because one fish's great, great, grand parents lived in different countries means as much to the fish in your tanks as where your neighbour came from means to you. They may come from a different place but we all learn to get along. There are some obvious mixes of fish that cannot work but they are based more on whether another fish is a tankmate or food.

There are some obvious mixes of fish that cannot work

Kinda like an Oilers fan and a Flames fan!! Go Oilers!!! :guns:

if they have no females to fight over,

or 1 male to 2or 3 females,

have lots of terratories to choose from,

if the proper tank size,[ect.]

they grow up together at same size......on and on

there is no gaurantee they will or won't -_-

but I personaly,

don't want to lose any fish I buy

I wouldn't want to put a puffer in with

platty's,they both can be brakish but ,

are to different.

or neons with angels,fine till angels out grow & are hungry

like s/a and africans.

africans are very aggresive & habitat does make a differance

with Any fish[.Rocks for africans,Plants for guppies.] :)

Don't really want to argue with you but the examples you give should be obvious to most fish keepers with any experience. Your goal and mine is that new people to the hobby don't make mistakes that costs a living creature its life. I am saying that instead of dimissing what Golds may or may not of said about what to put in a tank, base what we say on real world experience rather than what someone says in a book or on a web site, or what is taught in a LFS training course. Err on the side of caution if you will but but don't paint fish keeping and fish keepers with the same brush. :):):) The smilees hope we can all stay friends. :)

Edited by HOSStile