Black areas on Koi

HOSStile

This is for a friend, to be honest I have not seen this before. My first impression would be water quality. Here is what he says.

I managed to get over and get some pictures of the sick Coy this weekend. I think they show off the black pretty well. There is definitely more black on it than when I saw it last Monday night. Some of the other fish are starting to show signs of black as well either on the edges of the tail or around the mouth.

I took notes and wrote down everything she is using; filters, meds, stones, etc.

Bio stones

Charcoal filter

4 fibreglass filters

Aqua-tech EZ-charge filter cartridge

‘Cycle’ reduces fish loss

‘Aqua Plus’ tap water conditioner

‘Mela Fix’ Antibacterial Remedy

It doesn’t look like the black is fuzzy just smooth. She has 3 polos, 3 goldfish and a few coy in a 55 gallon tank. She used to have the lights on all the time and someone at the ‘you-know-where’ pet store told her to shut them off at night so… now she doesn’t keep them on much at all.

I told them already to remove the charcoal filter. Any ideas, she is quite distraught.

Here is a picture

DSCN0262.jpg

Edited by HOSStile

I hear about this all the time. Every fall it happens when fish are brought in from the pond. Usually there is nothing wrong with the water quality either. I believe it could have something to do with lighting changes but I could be completely wrong.

I read once with pond fish that black marks/blotches appeared from ammonia burns, which were a result of high ammonia in the pond water from Bird poop... ( i read that when i had my black markings on my rusty's from winnipeg, didn't save the link though... sorry.)

i'm not sure if this could be the result as i have never seen a picture of those fish.

Was there anyother fish from the pond that showed the same markings?

did you test a water sample?

is the fish healthy other wise or does it seem ill?

wish your friend luck for me!

hopefully the cause can be determined!

nev

Kim I have read the same thing as you about color changes in pond fish when you bring them in. The article I read refered to white spots not black but of course that could be genetics. I am rushing over a test kit for ammonia and nitrites to her, but until then water changes couldn't hurt. I still suspect water quality because that many fish into an uncycled tank would create a huge ammonia and later nitrite spike. I hope in this case it is what Kim says for the sake of this woman's fish. My own pondfish are roughing it this winter in my pond with a heater, air bubbler and circulating pump. Thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens.

Edited by HOSStile

HOSStile, have you seen the pond Henry has, here in Edmonton at Nature's Corner (AKA DAD's Fishroom)? He just keeps the pump running all winter, and the fish are fine. If the water's moving fast enough, it won't freeze solid; and, that's all the fish really need.

Although.... I have heard of some fish somehow surviving being stuck in solid ice - though not for too long.

I have learned that the woman that the fish belong to is quite elderly and possibly unable to do proper water changes. I told her friend to suggest that she get a python and if that was not possible she should look at adopting out the fish before they die. It seems that all the fish are turning black now. I don't know where this woman lives and I haven't received a response to my e-mails or I would go over and change the water myself. I will keep you all informed, but I fear the worst. :(

I have learned that the woman that the fish belong to is quite elderly and possibly unable to do proper water changes. I told her friend to suggest that she get a python and if that was not possible she should look at adopting out the fish before they die

There is also pond maintnance companies that will help her with cleaning/water changes if she can't do them herself.

Harold that looks exactly like some of my goldfish did when I was using them to cycle a tank.

After I moved them to another tank the black marks appeared. I believe it was Ammonia burn and the black is them healing up. Scar tissue if you will...

They should heal in a few weeks, granted the tank is cycled!!

After I moved them to another tank the black marks appeared. I believe it was Ammonia burn and the black is them healing up. Scar tissue if you will...

They should heal in a few weeks, granted the tank is cycled!!

Did your goldfish ever return to normal? OR did they keep the black?