Silver Arrowana

Ryan

Thats big. I was in pincher this weekend stoped in at a new friends place. I seen one of those 25 thousand dollar arrowanas. WOW. She was nice. :wub: then he showed me downstairs this guy keeps his arrowanas in a 403 gallon tank its 3 feet wide 3 feet tall and i cant remember the length anyway he is now building a 12 footer for them guys. :blink: thats a massive tank.

• 1 month later...
What is it about the Arrowanas that make them so expensive? They are neat looking fish... but for $25,000?

Is it possible to grow them from a tiny size to a huge one?

Price has everything to do with colour, then size...a yellowtail or green Asian aro at 5" will go for <$700, but the same fish at 30" will be $2500, whereas a potentialsuper/chili red gold crossback will go for $5000-$9000 at 5", but $25,000+ at 30".

Check out this amazing blue-base, super red.

• 5 months later...

I picked up a 2" Jardini from Big Al's Edmonton for $100 bucks and within the year it has grown to 10". I heard that it takes 3-5 years for them to reach maturity. Wathing our Jardini grow over the year has been fascinating, we can't beleive it when we see pics of him in a 10 gallon!

Only if they are micro - chipped; come with a birth cert.; and can only be transported with approvial of the government.

Otherwise they are not!!

"BIG DIFFERENCE."

Smokey

B)

Actually, micro-chipped, with a set of CITES appendix I export and import papers (which state the farm of origin)...and that is only for S. formosus...none of the other arowanna species are CITES-listed (with the exception of A. gigas, which, although an Osteoglossiforme, is arguably not an 'arowanna' proper.).

It's actually a karma thing too from what I've heard. The more red it has, the better the karma. And I believe that you also have to keep them in odd numbers to 'maximize' your Karma. I'm pretty sure that Gabriel from Edmonton is huge into Arro's and even went to Singapore for something to do with them. As Toirtis and Smokey both said, their transport and breeding is extremely regulated, and I'm pretty sure it would be quite the lengthy paperwork to get a CITES permit. Nothing greater than F2 can be exported.

Only if they are micro - chipped; come with a birth cert.; and can only be transported with approvial of the government.

Otherwise they are not!!

"BIG DIFFERENCE."

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here guys :bang1: , but I still don't get why they micro-chip and regulate the exportation of these fish to such great lengths.

I'm assuming they didn't randomly choose arrowanas for this process. Why not do this with more fish if it jacks up the price into quadruple digits?

I know I didn't start this question but I have to admit, every time I go into Riverfront and see them I ask myself "why?"

So, I understand there's a "big difference" in terms of paper work, transportation, etc., but my question is: why all the paper work, why the micro-chip?

Okay, I've thought of one more question: what came first the $25 000.00 price tag or the micro-chip?

supply and demand...if ppl are willing to pay for it, then they sell it.

i think that these fish are not available elsewhere...wild caught are illegal. you have to go to the process of getting the cites and stuff before u can own one...so the easiest way to do it is by buying one that already have everything.

i guess it is just like the zebra plecos, the price skyrocketed once one cannot get it wild caught.

correct me if i am wrong...i think that is why it is expensive.