Stocking suggestions

jvision

Well, I just scooped 6 Kenyi and should be picking them up on the weekend. Also just figured out that the 'mystery fish' are P. elongatus "ornatus", which are currently in with another elongatus complex fish. So, I have a dilema.... I want to be responsible, and not create hybrids (looks like a pair for the "ornatus", maybe mostly males for the "Chewere" - they're still coloring up), but I also want a nice show tank. So, here's what I'm thinking. (see my sig for the fish species that I have)

I have a 29 gal that is currently fishless. It will be planted w. a lot of cave-work, and am thinking it'll be home for the Kenyi and the M. cyaneorbdus (6 of each).

My original plan was to set this tank up w. a couple of species that were yellow and blue. I think it'll look great! :)

So, now I have the 35 gal to contend with. So far, I'm really liking the fish that I have in there; so I'm inclined to leave it as is. But, I'm totally open for suggestions!

6 kenyi and 6 cyanerabdos in 29 gal ? I hope that's only a temporary situation. Fairly large and aggresive mbuna to keep in a smallish tank. You'll have to keep up on the water changes and avoid the urge to overfeed or your tank will go south in a hurry. Good luck and keep us posted.

I would be forths...

same is what they are saying...

it all depends on their size. If they are still juvies it will work for a while, but there is no chance they will all get a long as adults. You'll get a bully (most likely the dominant male kenyi) that will cause a lot of stress in your tank.

IMO

nev

Yeah, I know... They're all still pretty small - under 3". This is just going to be home 'til I get those 60 gals set up in the basement - my 1st New Year project.

But, you think this'll work for a couple of months. Tonnes of plants and hiding places.

You mean to say, I have to tell my wife that I have to set up another tank??!! :o

I'm on your side!! :thumbs:

Hopefully, she is too!! :bang1:

With it overcrowded in a tank that small you may actually be ok until you get your 60 set up. You can either try it with tons of rocks/hiding spots, or bare. I'd try it with hiding spots first and see how they do, but if you find the aggression is just too bad then take everything out and have a bare tank. With nothing for any fish to hide behind, you can avoid aggression as there's really nothing to defend or guard etc.

Best of luck.