fluval 404 problems

captinstabbin

Just wondering if anyone can lend some ideas regarding the fluval 404 on my 75g. I gave 20 cichlids all approx 2 to 3".water changes done evry 2nd week 40%. my water always has floaties :mad: . I've got a surface skimmer on this thing that I've tried putting on a sponge pre-filter. This does not work at all because the upper skimmer portion just sucks under water with no way to get it to stay up. I suppose I could just go back to the original intake & pre-filter that, but that means I'd have all that nasty film on top the water. Someone from the pet store said that these are just garbage to begin with because of the amount of bypass they let by. Is there anything I can do to this thing in the canister to rectify this problem?

You have floaties? This stuff is actually floating right on the top? Is it oily? As far as I know, the only way to get rid of stuff floating on top of the surface tension is to skim it. I do that 2 ways. In the fishroom, I fill my tanks till it reached the drain and down it goes. Most ppl are not set up like me. But I have a tank that I use the Fluval skimmer on and it does a fine job. You have to make sure it is set right.

I'm not sure what all you are having trouble with, but if it is "oily", then use a few sheets of paper towel and lay it on top, pull it across and off.

I wonder what these "floaties" are? It seems unusual.

And I'm not sure what kind of skimmer you tried using, but I wouldn't block it up with a sponge on top. Got more detailed info?

What I mean by floaties is, paticles under the surface. I do keep 6 tropheus duboisi to whom I'm told are extremely "messy" fish in that they have a tendancy to create alot of waste. They have a tendancy to kind of vomit even hours after being fed & consuming each others crap :tongue: which is a normal thing I guess, but these guys take it to a whole new level. A surface skimmer is used also & does wonders. I have the 2 very bottom chambers filled with foam from a-clear filters, the next level with filter floss, 3rd with carbon/ammo rid bags & top 1 chamber with bio rings.

p.s: merry x-mas everyone :thumbs:

I agree. Lots of surface agitation and over filtering does the trick with me..as well tropheus like frequent large water changes. I use a cannister and a HOB filter in combination. On the surface I have a double spray bar. There is virtually no crap on the sand bottom as it is filtered out by the constant water movement. :) Oh..and use good quality food ...less waste