Tanganikan fish

jvision

I'm looking at setting up a biotope - or close to - for Lake Tanganikan Cichlids. I'd love to have other fish besides just cichlids, but am not too sure where to look to find other Tanganikan fish.

I'm not going for anything huge - prefer fish in the >6" range.

Is there a site that has a good list of 'other' Tang. fish, their habits and sizes? How 'bout a good book?

Thanks!

I was looking at Mongabay yesterday. It's actually what got me thinking about the "other" Tangs. From that site, the only small Syno that is found near the Lake is S. petricola, and they say it's more of a riverine species. I'll probably go with it, anyway, as it's close. :)

I like S. multipunctatus, but 10" is going to be a bit big.

While S. multipunctatus do get bigger than petricola, I have never seen or heard of any 10" specimens in captivity. 6-8" seems to be the max, and it takes a very long time for juvies to get that size. S. petricola would still probably be your best bet, make sure to get a min of 4-5 as they do best in groups.

The more the merrier!

You should have no problem finding S. petricola in the Edmonton area, but be weary of the big box LFS's, as syno has mentioned there being Czech bred syno hybrids showing up in at least one of these stores in your area.

Try to find Pierre Brichard's 'Book of Cichlids and all other fish of Lake Tanganyika'. It's got almost all the fish that were known about 20 years ago in the lake, from tetras to catfish. I believe one of the only non-cichlids that you'll see from time to time (and rarely at that) is the Tanganyikan killie. There was someone around here a while back that was selling eggs, and you could look them up again (I'd be interested in some now as well if you do find any).

I have a copy of the book, just have to find it and I'll see what it's got for tetras/barbs etc.

but be weary of the big box LFS's, as syno has mentioned there being Czech bred syno hybrids showing up in at least one of these stores in your area.

I think there are a couple ppl breeding 'em locally, so I don't think I'll be looking at them. I NEVER buy from the big chain stores, and am even thinking of swearing off any store that uses centralized filtration. Hobbyists, or Mom & Pops!

There was someone around here a while back that was selling eggs, and you could look them up again (I'd be interested in some now as well if you do find any).

That *may* have been Bill Bishop, here in Saskatoon: Mr. Killie :-) I know he has gone on killie collecting expeditionas all over the place (lucky guy).

David

FYI - you might find some Tanganyikan killies in Edmonton as well. If not, there's currently some swimming in a tank at the Red Deer Petland.

I remember there was a tang killie for auction at one of the ACE meetings. Not sure if it was raised in edmonton but someone does have them.