Crayfish molting

Vallisneria

How often should crayfish molt?

I know this is kind of a hard question to answer as it depends on th eage of the cray but on average how often should a 4" crayfish molt?

I have a blue cray and he molted on Dec. 25th and then today i noticed he molted again. Is it normal for him to be doing it twice in a month? My last crayfish used to molt every couple months and was the same size.

Also last time he molted he ate his old shell. This time he only ate 1 of the claws. Should i leave his shell in there to see if he'll eat it or should i just remove it?

I'd have to say mine molt about once a month. I got one near the end of November and it has molted twice. The other ones I got in mid December (I think) and have molted just one time each.

I usually leave the shell in for a few days and the Crayfish will eat all of it. Apparantly eating the old shell will help them to grow a new hard shell. Like fatpuffer I also don't feed my Crayfish any food while the shell is in the tank.

If I remember correctly from my bio days at the U, molting can occur any time the critter outgrows its current skeleton. It's not very regular, even in the wild. Take shore crabs, for instance. You can find their shed skeletons any given week. When they're smaller, they will shed more often.