DIY Stand - how do I do it?

jvision

OK, I can't wait any longer. I really want to set up one of those 60 gal tanks I picked up from Aquagiant a couple months ago.

I only want to set 1 of the 3 up, so I don't want it so close to the ground as they have 'em at the store.

I'm wondering what would be the quickest, easiest, closest to free way to get the tank off the floor - as close to normal tank-on-stand-height as possible.

Thanks for the ideas!

Dang-it! I just gave away my cinder blocks!! I got them handed down to me from someone wanting to unload 'em. Now where can I get some?

I can pm some plans, along with pictures for you, but I'm just running out the door. When I get back tonight I'll send em to you, better yet I'll post em in a seperate thread for all to enjoy.

-Hideo

I have an all-wood desk that would do the trick, but it's 3" to skinny. I was thinking that if I put a piece of plywood that is wide enough, it would support the tank. There would be a 1.5" overhang on the front & back. If I did this, would I be asking for trouble?

Last weekend I got bored and when I get bored I go to friend's houses with backyards and powertools and play until either I run out of wood to cut or end up reducing my persoanl digit count.

Yet again, the former was my signal to cease, and not the latter.

The short story is I drew up plans for a 20 gallon stand of 2x4 wood and made it strong enough to hold a small army of elephants. Total cost under $10, plus screws (about $5 worth) and it looks damn fine if I say so myself (I just did).

The bad part is that I am a complete dumbass and documented with photos the designing stage, the cutting the wood on a mitre saw stage and then the plan fell to bits... the next picture is the stand, covered and complete with a bloody 20 gallon sitting on top of it full of water.

So ya... I have some scribblings on a chink of graph paper... and a pile of 2x4's... but nothing that will help you out!

And now I do have things that help... a detailed, illustrated guide to building a rock solid tank stand. I will have it posted tonight in the DIY forum and will gladly adjust the cut list and measurements on a case-by-case basis. Tell me how big the tank is, and I'll doodle you up something even my mother could not possibly botch. If you can use a drill, a saw and a tape measure, then you'll be able to follow my instructions.

My wife is a genius!!! She said, "Why don't you just put one of the tanks you're not going to use on the floor, and just set up one on top of it?" Duuuhhh!!! Then to top it all off she says, "Isn't the basement too cold? Why don't you set it up in the office? You're going to put the fish from your 35 gal in it, anyway, aren't you?"

Wait! It gets better! We went out for a movie w. her parents last night, and dad-in-law says, "I'd like to build a stand for you - for all 3 tanks. Why don't you draw up a design, and I'll build it in my shop. We can even finish the outside with a nice cedar, or whatever you want."

Am I blessed, or what??!!

Ahh. Tanker..I would milk it for all it's worth! Gotta love the in-laws! As for the stand, well..it doesn't sound like too bad an idea jvision..but how is the desk constructed? It can be a big difference between a nice tank, and one that's on the floor. (we won't discuss how I know that.. :o )

Most likely, plywood would take care of you in that size tank, you aren't planning on carrying the load weight too far..but it can happen, and I have seen it happen..where the tank, or desk breaks.

It's all cool. I've got it set up the way the tanks were designed. Working, and looking great!