Fish for my 20g

Vallisneria

Well I redecorated my 20gH and its now a planted tank. So i need something new to put in it. Right now i have 5 otos, 1 BN pleco and a couple amano shrimp. I'd like something that I can try to breed but the water is just plain edmonton tap(the ph migh tbe a bit lower as i'm going to add DIY co2 and there is driftwood).

I was thinking a pair of something smallish and then a couple schooling type fish. One idea i had was a pair of Apisto cacatuoides and a couple endlers or something.

Anyone have any suggestions?I'm open to anything that will do well in a planted 20g. I keep mostly african cichlids so i'd like to try some of the smaller new world cichlids but i dont' kno wmuch about what will work in a 20g.

Any of the Dwarf SA would do great. Your idea sounds about perfect - Apistos w. Endlers. You could probably keep 1/2 dozen Endlers w/ a pair or trio of A. cacatuiodes quite easily. Just provide 3 or 4 small caves for the females to nest in.

Yes, that apisto is one i'm really considering. I"d love to get a nice triple red variety but I haven't seen any around in a while. Dad's fishroom used to always have a tank full. Hopefully they will get some nice ones in once they move.

So any suggestions besides apistos?It doesn't have to be a cichlids. Just anything cool that will live in a 20gH and has the potential to breed in edmonton tap water.

Excellent, thats the kind of suggestions i'm looking for. Sometime interesting that you dont' often see(atleast not in edmonton). Once i get a couple suggestion/ideas i'll have to see wahts actualy available or what i can get ordered in.

Edmonton Tap water is ph 7.8ish and fairly hard http://www.epcor.ca/pages/water/WaterQuali...ly/wqdaily.html

Have you considered any Rainbows? I have a half-dozen Dwarf Neons (Melanotaenia praecox) in my 30gal planted tank. They're not overly colorful, but they don't seem to lack character. Some of the others Boesmani (sp?) seem to be very colorful.

Keyholes are nice and docile. You can go with some of the others that really like soft, acidic water like Checkerboard cichlids. RO cut w. tap, and some oak leaves or peat would keep them happy.

Or, go with a pair of Convicts!! :D