Aquarium Silicone

Mighty Prawn

How long do you have to wait before adding water to an aquarium when you use some silicone on rocks to set them up?

It was globbed on pretty thick, there were no instructions on the package.

-Hideo

it says on some tubs 24 hrs but i usually wait 48 hrs.

But i dont know if many people know this but if you spray water on the part or stuff you siliconed with a spray bottle it will get a skin on it and start the curing process faster.

just for siliconing rocks i would just wait the 24 hrs but make sure you rinse or sook it for awhile changing the water frequently

Many people wait only a couple of days. For a resealed tank I wait about a week if the sillicone has been applied liberally. For decor once the vinegar smell has faded I'm happy to add the decor to the tank. No matter what I have silliconed I ALWAYS wait atleast three days though.

Edited by Reza

But i dont know if many people know this but if you spray water on the part or stuff you siliconed with a spray bottle it will get a skin on it and start the curing process faster.

This is true. Moisture helps it cure. In some other applications, where I had to apply silicone really thick I mixed it with moist sand.

I use a lot of silicone building decor for a couple of local shops and over time I have found that 24hr is good enough. Silicone will finish curing even under water and the amount of acitic acid that is released after the first 24hr is so small it should not harm your fish. Having said that, I still prefer to allow it to cure for a few days if I have the time because it adds that extra bit of confidence that all will be well (even though I know I'm fine after 24hr).

What type of silicone do you use on your tanks????

D

I use a lot of silicone building decor for a couple of local shops and over time I have found that 24hr is good enough. Silicone will finish curing even under water and the amount of acitic acid that is released after the first 24hr is so small it should not harm your fish. Having said that, I still prefer to allow it to cure for a few days if I have the time because it adds that extra bit of confidence that all will be well (even though I know I'm fine after 24hr).